90,000 mile inspection on a 2001 GC

Just had a 90,000 mile inspection on my 2001 GC. Everything checked out OK, but what really pleasantly surprised me was the brakes still had over 80% of brake pad remaining. In the past only the front brake pads were replaced at 30,000 miles because of the warped rotor problem. So at 90,000 miles I was expecting to at least replace the brake pads.

I bought the car new and have never replaced the brake fluid. The mechanic said the brake fluid was good for about 100,000 miles.

Any conventional wisdom on when to change the brake fluid?

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Moisture intrusion eventually kills brake fluid.

Fairly easy to bleed the brakes, usually done when replacing pads. Basically, rather than pushing the fluid back up when compressing the piston, you just put a little hose on the bleeder and squeeze the fluid out into a jar. Then tighten the bleeder and add fluid to the reservoir as required.

I've also just suction out the fluid in the reservoir and replaced with fresh fluid. It cycles a bit, but not much. My reasoning is any moisture intrusion is from the reservoir.

That leaves the lines. About every four years I suction out a few oz of fluid from the system and add fresh.

The suction gun is a great alternative to having someone push the pedal down for you. Just make sure the reservoir doesn't run dry.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for that info!

Reply to