2001 Grand Prix bad tie rod??

Took the Gran Prix for its state inspection yesterday, it's a 2001 with 23,000 miles and it failed because the tire rod end was shot. You could easily push it up and down,
and side to side. The shop asked me if I still had any warranty. Being a 2001 I'm thinking GM will probably say well it's past it's 3 years deal with it, but I've got other ideas. In the first 20,000 miles this car has all four rotors and pads replaced twice due to warped rotors and now this. I have never seen a tie rod go bad in 23,000 miles so I think this is a defective part. Granted if the car had hit a curb or some deep potholes I might think differently but this car had been babied and driven 80% on the highway. What are your opinions?
What are my opinions? Well my front & rear tie rods are original, plus they have grease fitting on them. Greased every 3000 miles.
If you say you haven't hit curbs & big pot holes then your pregreased from the factory tie rods probably dried up & wore out
I forget what manufacturer it was in the 60's that eliminated grese fittings from a particular vehicle. The cab companies sqwaked like hell becasue of constant ball joint & tie rod replacements. The cab companies threatened to buy a different manufacturers vehicle and then the cars began being built with greaseable front end parts again.
Good Luck
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
its common on the grand prix. i had one changed on my 2000 at 15,000 or so
null wrote:

GP's seem to wear tie rod ends prematurely. It's fairly common.
my GP I had to replace the wheel bearings at 45000.

I also experienced a failed outer tie rod on the driver's side of my 2000 Gran Prix at 27000 miles. Unfortunately the warranty had expired.
You're absolutely right, a tie rod should last a100,000 miles or more if it's not subjected to damage due to a pot hole or a very rough road.
This failure seems to have been experienced by a number of 2000 & up Pontiac Gran Prix owners and it certainly appears to be either a defective part or a inadequately designed part.
Ray
The dealership covered the cost and replacement of the tie rod under a "good faith" warranty. They did not cover the cost of the alignment. The dealer said the part was defective when put on the car and probably didn't have enough grease in it. This tie rod is packed and sealed with grease and there are NOT grease fittings on it and it cannot be retrofitted with grease fittings so as an owner there was absolutely nothing I could do to prevent the failure of the part. I called 1800-gmcares and opened a complaint about the car and asked that GM cover the cost of the alignment. I also told them that the dealership has been more then accomadating and has done an excellent job and it's time for GM to step up and cover the cost due to the failure of the defective part. The service rep said they don't normally cover the alignment. I told her I could fully agree IF the part was NOT defective but since it was defective and failed they should reimburse me my out of pocket cost. GM said they'd call me tomorrow with an answer after they investigate the service performed.

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /