90 XJ Heat shielding

Does anyone know what type of exhaust heat-shield was present on Cherokees around 1990? Mine gets pretty warm on the passenger's floor near the tunnel. I assume the CAT & exhaust may not be shielded properly anymore. I was going to attempt to add some heat shield insulation from JC Whitney to see how much it might help, or am I better of adding a metal shield to the CAT, etc.?

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

That's totally normal as far as I know. Our 88 gets really hot there and if you remove the carpets in the Wranglers, they have a heat warning sign on the tunnel even.

Mike

Mike Romain

Dana, that's normal... in fact when I installed my new 16 gauge floor, I formed a trough in it to catch the bacon drippings.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

I just took a look under my neighbor's Cherokee and there is no heat shielding for the converter or the muffler. It might be worthwhile to put some in there.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Yeah, I soon learned that that is not the spot to put your bag of groceries with the ice cream. I remember my old FSJ's being slightly warm there, but I assumed it had been corrected in 20+ years.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

You can get self-adhesive foil insulation at your favorite lumber yard and install it yourself. The stuff I have is about 12 inches wide and.... maybe

1/8" thick.
Billy Ray

Dana Rohleder did pass the time by typing:

Not even in the ZJ. Icecream goes behind the driver. (or in) :)

Reply to
DougW

Do you know what the insulation is for - roofing or stovepipes or what? It looks like it would do the trick if it is weatherproof.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Dana Rohleder did pass the time by typing:

Pipe wrap like they used on the old harleys.. but just remember it will eat the pipes in a few years.

Here you go

DougW

Get a factory heat shield for a newer one. My 99 has one but you'll need to drill holes to mount it. One of the Jeep web sites recently had a thread where a person listed the part number.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

It came along with a bunch of other stuff at a storage auction "Everything in this bin - 4 dollars" so I don't know for sure.

A quick Google brought up this web site and it appears to be HVAC duct insulation.

I cut a piece and subjected it to a torch flame and the foam backing caught fire. A second piece was undamaged when the flame was held several inches away. The backing is similar to 3M mounting tape as seems water proof when dunked in the laundry sink.

The shield on my WJ iappears to be a quilted aluminum or tin that is secured with several screws. The shield startes shortly before the converter and extends just past the muffler which is much larger than the one in Ed's XJ

I just posted some more pix of the WJ's heat shield into that same album.

Reply to
Billy Ray

That quilted stuff looks pretty snazzy. The link for the JC Whitney stuff is below. I'll check my hardware store. Oddly, NAPA looked at me like I was on drugs. It seems like something they should carry.

Dana Rohleder

They carry that stuff at Home Depot in the insulation aisle in rolls. I don't recall noticing the price.

Reply to
Billy Ray