Z06 Console heat

Just got new Z06 427 and the temperature between the seat and the console is really hot (too hot to leave hand there). Windows down cools off BEHIND the seats but no airflow next to console side of the leather seats, so stays VERY hot. Reading thru Corvetteforum.com and everyone seems fully aware of it and has "learned to live with it".

I see aftermarket insulation etc ( now that I'm looking), but I'm pretty ticked off that the solution is for ME to remove the rugs/seats etc., install $200 worth of insulation, then reassemble the interior in a $85,000 car with 300 miles on it.

I'm thinking that there ought to be a recall if this issue has gone on for years. Anyone out there investigated with GM ? Your thoughts ? Experience ?

Reply to
- Bobb -

Be glad you didn't buy a Viper!

Reply to
Bob I

really hot (too hot to leave hand there). Windows down cools off BEHIND the seats but no airflow next to console side of the leather seats, so stays VERY hot. Reading thru Corvetteforum.com and everyone seems fully aware of it and has "learned to live with it".

off that the solution is for ME to remove the rugs/seats etc., install $200 worth of insulation, then reassemble the interior in a $85,000 car with 300 miles on it.

========================================= I currently own (and drive) FIVE Corvettes and have owned at least 10 others over the last 40 years ...and to be honest NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM were even remotely "cool" to the hand (or foot in some cases) in the console area ...If you want to feel HOT remove the shift boot...

I do not (yet) own a C6 ...so I really can not coapre how hot they get in the console area BUT in my 6 sp C5 the amoiunt of heat "at the shifter" is minimal when compared to the C2 and C3's I've owned...which were downright HOT not warm .. the C4 was about the same as the C5 not warm enough to even to be of a concern TO ME...but then again I am not you... BTW I have owned only one Automatic all the rest have been Manual Tranny's

Bob G.

64 72 & 98 Convertibles 76 & 79 Coupes...
Reply to
Bob G.

Interesting, I just got out of my C6 and I feel no warmth on the console at all, but then I didn't get to push it much over 120 today. None of the C5s I had were warm to the touch, must be the exhaust is hotter on the Z06, yeah, right.

The C6 is un-modified except for the Corsa mufflers. Don't pay any attention to the wienies on the forum any more, what a group.

Reply to
Dad

I've got a 2004 C5 Z06 and the tunnel gets hot on a highway trip. Good thing it's got a great a/c system. I've looked into the heat shield and they say it works great. If you are going to go to all that trouble, you might as well have the sound blankets installed under the entire carpet too.

It is a race car. They stripped down weight everywhere they could. I'll bet the Lexus sports car has tons of insulation is quiet and cool. Maybe you want one of those?

Ed

Reply to
Spud

Other comments on this thread about having joy when living close to the machinery are right on target. Performance airplanes and performance cars leave one grimy, sweaty and probably smelly

--if you're having fun, only others will notice.

Corvette chose to not add more aero drag to the car to force more air through the tunnel. After their success in cooling the Z06 brakes they probably figured they'd had enough "fun" messing with front end aerodynamics.

Air flow doesn't soak up (and carry away) much of the radiant heat from a near-red hot header or header extension. Better bet is to prevent the radiation and keep the energy in the pipe until it is aft of the cockpit tunnel. Do this with insulation around the pipe.

When I had the exhaust system off my C4, I 'lagged' everything from the headers to the cat with asbestos cloth (wrapped with glass and exhaust paint). This solution is immoral, unethical, unhealthy, environmentally unsound and probably illegal. Bottom line is that my C4 is as cool as my C5 during long hauls across the desert.

You may want to wait until the warranty period is over as this "unauthorized modification" wipes the warranty slick. But, it will help make you cooler.

Hit Google for asbestos cloth -- read the warning links, pick an overseas source and have at it. The clearances are tight in that area, start with good measurements.

So that you don't get prematurely 'daid' from this, comply with industrial hygiene and asbestos clean-up tips for handling asbestos.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Had a 69 427 w/ side pipes. Would do a decent job of baking your feet:) I hear the AC cars were worse as they had no air vent. Sold that car for $3200 in 72. :( Used the money for a down paymet on a $14,500 house. Things have sure changed....

Al

Reply to
Big Al