92 Subaru Loyale - Front Right Inner CV Boot and Catalytic Convertor

Hello,

First a bit of history:

Two and a half years ago, I had the front right CV boot replaced because it was developing a crack.

4 months ago the heat shielding was removed from the entire exhaust system.

Last week, the front Right Inner CV Boot ruptured again.

I'd really like to know the most likely cause of this.

Specific Questions:

  1. Do Subaru Loyale's just have a bad design, and the CV boot will go every couple of years?
  2. Does my old Catalytic Convertor without heat shielding cooking the hell out of the CV boot? Would spending the 0 plus dollars to replace it fix the problem?
  3. Do I have to make a home-made shield to guard the boot as another person suggested?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated,

thanks for your time,

Ryan

Reply to
ryanderk

Hi,

I've driven a variety of cars w/ CV joints--none of them have been near as hard on boots as my Loyale. Yeah, a coupla years is about it for boots. (Compared to one replacement in 14 yrs on a Camry, zero replacements on a coupla FWD VWs, zero replacements I know of on a coupla family members' Hondas, etc.) Using OEM boots helps the life expectancy a little.

Yes, the cat cooks that right inner boot. WITH the heat shielding. WITHOUT it, I'm surprised you haven't cooked something else! They put that shielding in there for a reason, not just to look pretty! Ever sat with your feet on the carpet over an unshielded cat and had the carpet melt to your shoes? It's not pleasant. I don't know why it was removed, but I'd get it fixed. Even if I didn't have CV joint boots at stake!

While still wondering why the shield was removed in the first place (I sure hope somebody didn't fall for Bubba's line down ta the garage that it would "improve yer performance"), do you still have access to it? If so, maybe there's a way to reinstall it? Not sure what to use or how to do it to make a decent homemade job, but, hey, if you've got no shame about the final appearance, go for it!

Good luck,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Hey Rick,

Thanks for all the info.

Yeah, I think they (Midas Muffler) messed up taking off the heat shielding.

They were trying to find a rattle and said that most of the shielding was overkill. They ended up taking it all off, to my suprise. And that wasn't even the source of the rattle. It was just one of the bolts into the manifold had come loose. 4 months later the cv boot goes. I thought right away that was the reason so I called them back to find out if it could be put back on. Apparently it can't. (they've probably thrown it away). Now, I'm kicking myself for not finding that loose bolt. It would have saved me a lot of grief.

They and another mechanic have told me that I'd have to buy a new Cat etc. in order to get a heat shielded exhaust system again.

I gather from what you said I'd better just bite the bullet and do this?

(I'd rather not get into rivetting sheet metal to the floor boards and I'm not sure what else may be on the verge of melting.)

thanks again,

Ryan

Rick Courtright wrote:

Reply to
ryanderk

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. I thought I was the only one who'd had some moron pull the shields off my cat! Actually, Bubba the Muffler Genius replaced my rear cat w/ an aftermarket unit and couldn't figure out if it didn't fit under the existing shield, it wasn't the right size.

That's what I did. And it cured a host of rattles, and really cooled off the carpet (this wasn't the car I melted my shoes to, but it was still pretty hot!), as well as helping me pass smog testing w/ far better numbers.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright