VW Things in Winter

I am thinking about buying a VW Thing and I am wondering if anyone out there would like to share any winter driving experinces. I live in Boise, ID where the winters are somewhat cold (highs in the 20s-30s) and there is some, but not a lot of snow. I have read in this and other newsgroups that Things are not all that comfortable in the winter (bad heaters/defrost, drafty, etc) but I have not see many opinions on it on how bad they really are.

That said, does anyone out there drive their Thing in the winter in colder climates? If so, what are your experiences and do you have any suggestions on what to look for when buying a Thing? (Make sure it comes with a warm coat?)

Thanks, Leif

Reply to
aintgotbutnodata

Well, my thing gets used year-round, no matter how hot or cold it is outside. Oh... wait... you said "VW" Thing...

Reply to
Shag

The majority of them have the BN4 gas heater --- same as the VW Bus. It keeps the thing quite toasty!

Reply to
Wolfgang

You made me think of a Prince Albert piercing incorporating a VW hood ornament. Yuck.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Shaggie. Twice a year isn't exactly "year round".

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

My first car was a Thing, '74 model but that was almost 30 years ago. I'm in Alabama so the winters weren't that bad but it was cold and drafty as you say. But as a teenager, I don't recall it being unbearable.

We don't get much snow here but we do get an ice storm about every other year. I remember being the only thing (no pun intended) on the road. Maybe it was teenage foolishness but I pulled a lot of folks out of ditches that weekend.

Long johns and a warm coat would be my suggestion. And if ya don't like the car, let me know. I'd love to have another one.

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11

Careful... You'll be married soon, too... ;-)

Reply to
Shag

On Thu, 12 May 2005 00:33:44 GMT, Shag scribbled this interesting note:

You sound like a wise man, Travis!:~)

John Willis

On 11 May 2005 11:07:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com scribbled this interesting note:

I'm a firm believer in driving the right car for the weather. If it is a nice day, take the convertible. If it is raining, take something else. After all, there really is only one right way to drive a convertible. The top is just in case of rain while you are out!

(Same applies to uncivilized, very cold weather!:~)

John Willis

On 11 May 2005 17:33:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com scribbled this interesting note:

Care to drive to Texas to pay for and pick one up? (I'm serious. I'd like to have the driveway space back. Email me for pictures and particulars...)

John Willis

ya i live in reno nv the car dose great in the snow except wehn the snow was about 15 inches then i got stuck twice goming down my street but the car is fun to drive in the snow except the front end is a little jumpy but other the the 15 inches of snow the car dose great in it make sure you also get some good snow tires for it i think that was half the getting stuck i didnt have good enought tracktion but ya there you go it that what your looking for geoff

Reply to
vwthingrcer

Hardtops are available,

assume, if the hardtop was properly installed, and the heating system spruced up (exhaust heat wrap stuff, heating system in at least as sold state) you'd be good. You may wish to add some insulation behind the carpet (I believe automotive thermal insulation is available, dynomat would probably help anyways). I dont have a thing, but I'd assume it would be just a little worse than any VW cabrio (as it is a vert, not a cabrio). Best of luck,

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

John,

All my emails to you come back. Email me pix and lets talk.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11