'91' XJ: 02 sensor, rich mixture and cat-con

I got so busy that I didn't have time to swap out my 02 sensor w/the shredded wiring harness (big thanks go to the stealership mechanics who installed it the first time and didn't think to check the prop shaft clearance to the 02 sensor wiring harness). The upshot is that the engine was running rich for maybe 4 months. Is this enough to do in the cat-con? How much does it cost to get the cat-con replaced?

Wblane

I don't know for sure, but if that broken wire was going to really affect the running of the O2 sensor, it would have set off the check engine light permanently and set a code like disconnecting it will do.

I think you mentioned you had a check engine light once that was fixed by tightening the loose gas cap, so that O2 wire isn't that old issue.

Has your mileage gone lower?

Does it kick out lots of black smoke when you goose it?

Do you smell the rotten egg smell of a cat with too much gas in it?

If not, I would just fix the wire and see what happens.

Mike

Wblane wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for responding Mike. I'm thinking it was pure coincidence now that the Check Engine light went out when I tightened down the gas cap. The thing is, the Check Engine light only came on intermittently. My gas mileage did drop dramatically. I didn't see any black smoke though or smell any rotten egg smells. I already R&R'ed the O2 sensor (and used some zip ties to tie it clear of the prop shaft and header). I guess I'll have to wait for my smog test in November.

The white wire was the one that was broken in the O2 sensor wiring harness. BTW.

Wblane