93 GC 4.0L right front antifreeze leak

For the past month I have been trying to track down an intermittant antifreeze leak in my 93 GC 4.0L. After sitting overnight, especially when cold

Reply to
wb

I just replaced the radiator in my '96 GC, because of a similar leak. After finally giving up and removing the radiator to inspect it I found that some of the fins had rusted through. Found the best price at Radiator Barn.

Reply to
aGraham

I have seen old radiator hoses leak in the cold, or start leaking in the cold. Once they start doing that, then you need a new hose. This is based on experience, I don't know what makes it happen. Maybe just coincidence?

Fins will rust through, and sometimes it will be so bad that whole sections of them will fall out. The only real way to prevent this, is to live in a non-corrosive atmosphere, far from rain, smog and the ocean. ;^) It may help to spray paint the radiator. Although many people would use high temperature or stove paint, a radiator is not really all that hot. Anything that works on engine parts will work.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yep, got a close look at it last night in my garage. The radiator fins are corroding away and just crumbling and seeping and the drain on the right side is seeping too. I guess 120K miles is long enough for one radiator. Ordered a new radiator will have to put it in when it arrives..

Reply to
wb

While your old cooling system was fine with the old style "American Green" antifreeze I would recommend that you fill your new radiator, after a thorough flush, with the current DC required G-05 antifreeze and DISTILLED water.

It is available from DC, Ford, and Mercedes dealers as well from Valvoline in their Zerex line. The G-05 formula is in the gold jug.

Most of the commonly available antifreeze is based on the Texaco-GM DexCool formula and is well known to actually cause corrosion in newer systems.

Beware of Prestone and Peak antifreezes. The Jugs will claim they are appropriate for DC vehicles but DC now specifically warns against the "O.A.T." technology they contain.

The G-05 spec antifreeze does cost more than American Green.... an additional $1 per gallon when I bought mine at PepBoys in May '05.

For anyone interested: I have a couple articles from industry trade journals concerning the antifreeze situation, send me a valid e-address and I'll forward them.

Reply to
billy ray

wb proclaimed:

Look for leaks along the tanks on both sides. There is also a common leak area on the lower right side of the right radiator tank as viewed from the drivers seat. Dunno if anyone has successfully epoxied the plastic, easier to put in a new radiator....converting to copper or aluminum if desired.

Reply to
Lon