93 Grand Cherokee-Won't Start in Cold

Hi all. Hope to find some suggestions here.

93 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 6 cyl, auto, 4wd, air etc. Has 220,000+ miles, been excellent and still is. Problem is when the temp gets into the 30's, it will crank and crank, give a huff or two like it's trying to start, but no go. New plugs, wires, Oxy sensor, other things over the last couple years. Read a forum message somewhere on a similar problem and the fellow said he finally took off the ECM and heated it in the oven. Seemed it had a crack in the insulating material that let moisture get in and freeze. Or something like that. Possible related symptom; the engine, when running well, gives a 'miss' on acceleration at right around 2800 rpm and has for years. I've gone through most everything but am really suspect of the MAP sensor or the ECM now. I've had a lamp on under the hood for overnight, but no help to start today. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions for this old beauty. Thank you.

Update to this problem. I got a can of starter fluid and tried it. The car seemed much more willing to start, but still no joy. It did huff a lot more, but didn't actually start. In my view, this points to more of a fuel problem than electrical? If there's concurrence on that, what in the fuel control system would be so subject to the cold temperature? Would appreciate additional thoughts. Thanks. "D" wrote in message news:OxKzb.105969$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com... Hi all. Hope to find some suggestions here. 93 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 6 cyl, auto, 4wd, air etc. Has 220,000+ miles, been excellent and still is. Problem is when the temp gets into the 30's, it will crank and crank, give a huff or two like it's trying to start, but no go. New plugs, wires, Oxy sensor, other things over the last couple years. Read a forum message somewhere on a similar problem and the fellow said he finally took off the ECM and heated it in the oven. Seemed it had a crack in the insulating material that let moisture get in and freeze. Or something like that. Possible related symptom; the engine, when running well, gives a 'miss' on acceleration at right around 2800 rpm and has for years. I've gone through most everything but am really suspect of the MAP sensor or the ECM now. I've had a lamp on under the hood for overnight, but no help to start today. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions for this old beauty. Thank you.

FrankW

"Man o Man, Other than an old diesel farm tractor, I wouldn't use starter fluid for anything."

Why?

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
FrankW

I know, I know. At my wit's end. Only used a short shot though. Figure the valves are prob. loose enough, a little more wouldn't hurt catastrophically.

Do you have a ballast resistor like in the Cherokee?

When those go bad, the engine will almost start with the key turning the starter, but drop to run and it up and dies.

Mike

D wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike. I think it does have a ballast, but again, it never gets close to turning on it's own enough to let up on the key. Also, I don't think the ballast resister would be affected by the cold like this.

catastrophically.

AH. I remember in college (Potsdam, NY) it was below zero (+/- a few degrees) and my buddy was outside trying to start his car. He poured some gas into the carb and it still wouldn't start so he came in to take a shower. I look out my window (I had a great view of the parking lot and the grass where the chicks would tan) and I see this car on fire. I trotted down to the bathroom and was like "dude, your cars on fire"... well, thank GOD he grabbed his towel before sprinting down the hall to my room!!

Car burt to the ground (there is not a more miserable sight than to watch firemen put hoses away in sub-zero weather).

Reply to
Joe

I lost some eyebrows in the service that-a-way. Believe me, I'm careful.

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

At 12/4/03 12:09, D bespake thusly:

If the starter spins fast enough and you get no firing, is either fuel or spark. Unless it stops right away in which case wrong oil weight is another suspect.

You mention a miss even when warm... that would be worth getting rid of as that engine should never do that.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Still the same problem, just spins a bit faster. Location of the ballast resister? I'll put the torch to it. j/k. I will try a lamp though.

Hi Lon, thanks. Cranks just fine. Get a huff or two like it's trying, so I have spark. Especially with a minimal squirt of starting fluid. Also get more huffs if pump the gas, or hold it to the floor. Oil is okay. I do want to find the miss at 2800rpm. Need to get running first. The car is a (only) daily driver. I just mentioned it as possibly an indicator that something has deteriorated to this point.

L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Bill. I'll try that and see what I get. I have a few multi-meters around. If the voltage, 12v. is not there while cranking, does that indicate a bad ballast? It started up just now. Ran rough for a few seconds, then smoothed out like the beauty she is. I'm going to run around a few blocks and then see if I get any fault codes. Problem is still there. Will post after bit. Thanks for your insight. Denny

The Cherokee has a ballast resistor for the fuel pump too.

Mike

D wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

:)

Going to go through a few ideas.

Ignition issues including misses at speed. Bad sparkplug bured out wire cracked cap burned through rotor Worn out distributor. (can you move the rotor from side to side or is there a lot of oil in the bottom of the distributor) If yes, you need a new distributor.

I'm almost betting your rotor has burned a hole in it and the spark is going through the distributor to ground.

More things to check.

Does the fuel pump turn on when the ignition key goes to run? Is the fuel rail pressure up to 32psi? (an R-12 gauge works well to test pressure)

Have you cleaned the Idle Air Passage in the TB? (usually associated with rough idle though)
ESD relay (emergency shutdown relay) gone bad. This will prevent a start, but it also prevents the fuel pump from cycling. (Relay center behind the battery)

The diagnositcs page on my site might help. Gotta run.

Reply to
DougW