93 F-250 7.5L won't start

I have a 93 F-250 with the 7.5L engine. It always starts as soon as I turn the key, until the other day when I had to crank it for about 5 seconds before it started, but it ran perfectly fine after it started. Then I parked it and when I came back, the engine would crank but not start. I had to have it towed home. It will crank and crank but not start up. I checked the coil wire and it is getting a good spark. I'm suspecting the engine is not getting fuel. I'm about to take off the fuel filter, but first I looked in the manual and it said to relieve the fuel pressure first using a special tool, which I don't have. Is there any truth to that, or can I just pull off the fuel filter? I'm hoping it's not the fuel pump because the manual says I have to remove the fuel tank to get to that.

Thanks, Ed B. snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Ed B.

I've replaced several fuel filters without relieving the pressure. Just be prepared to a high pressure jet of fuel to spray out when you loosen the connections and wear eye protection.

Reply to
F J

Do you regularly drain the water separator? You better be hoping it's either a clogged fuel filter or the fuel pump. Those are relatively cheap. If it's the injector pump or glow plugs - different story

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

I'm not familiar with a water separator. Where is that located?

Ed

Reply to
Ed B.

Don't know for sure on that model, but look near the firewall on the driver's side. It's listed in your owners manual. If you don't have an owners manual, you need to get one, because checking the contents of your radiator is even more crucial to the well being of that motor.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Reply to
lugnut

It's not diesel if that's what you mean.

Ed

Reply to
Ed B.

OOPS!! read the wrong liters. Take the electronic module off and that it to your local parts house for them to check. That's what they do when they go bad, maybe crank and die a time or two and then just die. It's most likely mounted on the fender well on the driver's side. It's a square type thing about 4 X 6 or so.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

There's a box there labeled "Power Distribution Box". Is that the one, and can I just remove it and take it in for testing?

Ed

Reply to
Ed B.

That has to be one of the most CLUELESS replies I've seen on this group....... OP states he has a COIL and has checked the SPARK, and you suggest it could be items that the 7.3 DIESEL have. OP, there are NO glow plugs, injector pump, or water seperator on your 460 gasser....

Reply to
bomar

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:36:11 -0800, Ed B. rearranged some electrons to form:

No, I think he was talking about the ignition module. Does a 1993 have one?

Reply to
David M

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 14:42:46 +0000, bomar rearranged some electrons to form:

Read his next one about the "electronic module"...

Reply to
David M

Oh, I get it now, Tom J inlisted the help of Bomar to take my "dumbest guy on a.t.f" title away. :/ Tom J you haven't got a chance! :(

Alvin (being paranoid don't mean that they're not out to get you)

Reply to
alvinj

It's NOT paranoia if everybody really IS out to get you.

Reply to
bomar

Maybe next it will be a post suggesting he check his flux capacitors....

Reply to
bomar

Let's get back on topic - Instead of actually taking stuff apart, you can borrow or buy a fuel pressure gage and just see if you're getting the right amount of fuel. That's my suggestion.

Reply to
Joe