93 ZJ "clunk" in front axle

The trackbar is the piece from the frame to the axle, right ?

Are those easy to replace ? (I might as well do everything easy one under there)

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Ron Croonenberg

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The death wobble can be one wheel going insane side to side or both going which would mean your steering damper shock is shot (check it for leaks) or the whole axle and wheels going side to side which is the track bar. This is the worst and gets out of hand because the whole front end is going side to side.

If it's one wheel you don't feel it in the steering as bad as the others.

If it is the drag link rod end, your vehicle will 'tack' into the wind and pull against a slope or follow ruts in the road.

If it is the track bar, when you turn the wheels from side to side, the nose of the Jeep moves side to side. You can see it from the drivers seat.

If you have play in the drag link joint it is toast. If you have play there, you likely have play in other joints, so that might just be the first of a few.

When I bought my CJ7 it was white knuckle at 65 mph. Every joint passed inspection showing 'some' ware, but add them up and I had 6" to 8" of free rotation in my steering wheel. I replaced everything and now it is stable with the speedo maxed out and normally cruises at 75 mph or 120 kph to keep up with traffic.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thi is the first time I had it...so i don't know the "others"

it does that

it doesn't seem to do that

so, the tie rod ends are probably toast too then

I had something similar with my cj5, that was a completely run out wheel brearing (had it when I bought it.)

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg