93ZJ drive shaft question / HELP.

The wifey's ZJ has been at the shop for almost a week. It has had a fair bit of work done to it (brakes, rear axle seals & Bearings, front cv boots and some other stuff).

Anyways the last job it needs done it to have the front drive shaft replaced (from front diff to x-fer case). My garage is have a hell of a time finding one. I was wondering if there would be any problems driving the J**P with the front shaft removed??? The J**P has Quadra-trac.

Thanks Snow....

Reply to
Snow

From what I understand that is one of the problems with Quadra-trac in the 93, no lock. So without a front or rear shaft the limited slip part of the case will just generate a ton of heat and the open output will still spin. And that give you a real good chance of burning out the transfer case. It has to be flatbedded. :/

chryslerpartsdirect.com Shows it under Front drive axle, Drive axles, Propeller Shaft, Drive shaft for ..wow.. $464.10 for the 4.0 Auto. The other bits are there too, depending on what broke.

Reply to
DougW

Well they call it Qtrac but the real Qtrac was made from 73 to 79. I know I still have one in a 79 that I have owned for over 22 years now. If it is anything on front drive shafts like my old J20 is it tends to wear out Ujopints and CV in it over time as mine is always spining and running at a bit of a angle even stock. There is no need to replace it because unless the splines on the spline yoke are stripped out it is fully rebuildable. Any competent driveshaft shop can rebuild it for you and cheaper than a new one too and while you are at it have it balanced as well. The CV in that drive shaft and ujoints need regular lubing for long life. When you get it rebuilt get Ujoints in the CV cage with grease fittings on caps so you can grease them with a grease needle on a grease gun. There is also a grease fitting in the centering ball in the CV cage that needs to be greased with a needle too (many neglete this) I picked up a second drive shaft in a bone yard long ago and I swap them out every year or two and service them as needed while out so it is ready for next swap. (I cannot grease centerball fitting with shaft installed on my truck and one reason I swap them) I have come to live with mine being hard on front drive shafts as it seems to be the nature of the beast with full time 4x4. In my case I can swap out drive shaft in about 20 minutes or so.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan