'95 Cherokee Sport - Courtesy lights stay on

Hello,

I've tried searching for help with this problem without any success and was hoping to find some help here in this group.

The other day, I replaced the headlight switch on the above vehicle ('95 Cherokee Sport) for a friend, who had broken the old one by pulling out the knob out too far. Something must have broken inside, as there was no way that the knob would seat back in the switch. Luckily, however, it had broken with the headlights in the off position.

A strange thing occurred though. Upon returning with the new part, I noticed that the interior courtesy lights where on. This was without the old switch being in place. I proceeded with the installation of the new switch and checked for proper headlight operation. Everything worked fine. The dash lights, along with both high and low beams, and the blue high beam indicator were functioning at that point.

The problem is that the courtesy lights still won't turn off. I've tried looking for a stuck door switch or a possible pinched wire near the headlight switch, but couldn't find anything wrong. Keep in mind that the courtesy lights were on by themselves without a headlight switch installed. So, I'm thinking that it must just be a strange coincidence and have nothing to do with the new switch.

In order to not kill the battery, I pulled the fuse, which was labeled "9 Batt". That, not only, turned off the courtesy lights, but also, the clock and the power door locks. All lights and signals work fine, so the vehicle is safe to drive.

Does anyone in the group have any ideas as to what may be going on here or what else to check? I would appreciate any help that anyone has to offer.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply here to the group.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

I could be way off base here but isn't there another switch just for the inside light on some newer Cherokees?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> Hello,
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

That's not the problem. When I tested the new headlight switch for proper operation I could see a noticeable flicker when it was turned to that position. As I stated in my original post, the courtesy lights stay on without a headlight switch installed. I'm thinking maybe there's possibly a relay that's stuck, but haven't found out if there is one in the circuit or not.

Thanks for replying.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

In the ZJ the courtesy lights have a timer and relay that is supposed to shut them off after the door closes + a few minutes. That relay is under the glovebox bottom, but I don't think yours is in the same place. Don't have a book for your year.

Reply to
DougW

From the '95 XJ FSM: DOME/COURTESY LAMP SERVICE

INFORMATION-XJ

Voltage is applied at all times via the dome lamp

fuse to each of the interior lamp bulbs. The interior

lamp bulbs illuminate when they are connected to

body ground via the switch:

² Headlamp switch. ² Glove box switch. ² Door pillar switch. ² Liftgate switch (if the cargo lamp is ON).

If equipped with Security Alarm Module, refer to

Group 8Q, Vehicle Theft Security System.

It appears that if your lights are on full time that they are being grounded somewhere other than through the switch.

Reply to
billy ray