Extreme angle - clutch failure

Hi - I like to climb snowbanks. I got the $%# scared out of me on Saturday. I went up this steep bank, and the angle started getting extreme. I was in Low-4. As I started getting uncomfortable, I disengaged the clutch to stop climbing. IT DIDN"T DISENGAGE! It lurched forward and upwards at a steeper angle. My receiver hitch bottomed out and I could have flipped backwards. Fortunately, The engine stalled. I heard 3 beeps as well just before it stalled. I freaked out. After the stall I was stuck up there - pushed in clutch to come back down, but the angle prevented me from coming backwards. Started the engine after a bit of hesitation (fuel had to get from the tank to the engine) and i put it in reverse and came down slowly. Freaky experience.

What happened?

Reply to
Thoth1126

Remind us on your vehicle?

Mechanical clutch, take a look at your body mounts...

Hydraulic, take a look at your fluid level.

No idea what the beeps were, maybe you were at such an angle a "Check Guage" alarm went off.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

That sounds like your clutch is 'really' low on fluid. I would be check the MC and if low be looking for leaks.

If this is your TJ?

If not, look to Matt's post.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> Hi - I like to climb snowbanks. I got the $%# scared out of me on
Reply to
Mike Romain

2002 TJ Manual tranny Hydraulic clutch I'm thinking the fluid level got skrewed up from the angle. and the beeps could have been low fuel but it only beeps once for low fuel. I wonder if the Sahara beeps a roll over signal? hahahhaa
Reply to
Thoth1126

Yep its TJ Really low - it's full - I'll check it but I think the angle caused the line to be empty. I'm telling you - I was in the 11:55 o'clock position!! I'll check the fluid level after work

Reply to
Thoth1126

To re-iterate - The clutch failure was very temporary. After re-start it was fine.

Reply to
Thoth1126

better than in the 12:05 position... trust me, I've been there. lol.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

I have been at the 11:59 position before in a hydrualic clutched Jeep and never had a problem. Not sure what happened. Next time shut the motor off or just rip the shifter back into nuetral.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Crazy clip. Poor Jen.

Matt - yeap i was looking up at the sky - not the guages.

Reply to
Thoth1126

lol!

-jenn