Grand Cherokee Lights stay on

My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee's lights come on randomly - even with the light switch set to OFF. Last night I had to pull the battery cable to get them off. Anybody got any hints as to what may be causing this? I've tapped around and pulled on wiring harnesses with no effect.

Help!

Reply to
Jchick

Jchick did pass the time by typing:

Inside lights or headlights?

Inside could be quite a few things. Faulty controller, broken dome light that wants to stay on, salt in the door switches causing the Jeep to think the doors have been opened, faulty sensor in the lift-gate (older jeeps used a mercury tilt switch).

Headlights, I would supect a faulty DRL module or wiring.

Reply to
DougW

You do know that the driving lights will stay on for a while if you leave the lights on, turns off the ignition and then turns off the lightswitch. This is to allow you to get out of the car and the garage. The lights then turn off after a litle while.

When this is not wanted behavior just turn off lights before turning off ignition.

Don't know if this is your problem but took me by suprise when I was new to Jeeps some yers ago :-)

Odd-Inge

Reply to
Odd-Inge Larsen

This is a known problem with the 2000. The AUTO position and the OFF position on the headlight switch at the end of the stalk are very close in signal level. Occasionally the body control computer misinterprets the signal when the switch is OFF and thinks its in AUTO, turning on the lights if its dark enough. Usually the lights go off themselves but not always. I have the same problem on my 2000 though I haven't seen it for a while. I tried to get the dealer to replace the switch but I'm long past warranty and I ended up leaving it alone.

Reply to
Kevin Swan