95 JGC Catalytic Converter

With 108K miles on it, I've noticed a rattle in the converter. I was under there today and just giving the converter a gentle thump with the heal of my hand, I can hear it. It's not like a bunch of broken pieces (like a ceramic unit that's collapsed) but more like a large chunk of the guts moving around a bit.

It runs fine, no overheating or any other bad signs.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Thanks! Dave

Reply to
Dave Wick

Dave Wick did pass the time by typing:

Yes. If it plugs up you will get excessive back pressure on the engine. That will hurt your milage and isn't too good for the engine. A failing cat also will shoo bits into the muffler which causes all sorts of rattles. Also it won't clean the exhaust as well, so depending on where you live you may not pass emissions.

A new cat from your basic muffler shop should run about 100$us installed

Reply to
DougW