First new question of the new year, and relates to a weird noise.

OK, I'm used to a 10 year old car having rattles and whistles and creaks.

But this one has me stumped. drive the car and it gets upto temp and stays there fine, and drives great, although the temp drops on motorways so it suggests the stat is stuck open (which might help the crap economy when fixed). But when in traffic and at town speeds, the temp stays at the right place, and the fan kicks in keeps things proper, no hint of overheating. Coolant is still good, clean clear and red.

But Ive noticed, that when at traffic/town speed/fan cycling, if I boot it, it still boosts as before, but there is occasionally a little bit of a rattle from somewhere that only happens when at the upper end of normal temp (fan cycle). If you get moving again, and then boot it so air is flowing, no rattle.

I thought pinking, but I noticed yesterday after doing a bit of work, that it did it sometimes when not at boost, and even when at idle.

Also, it is really loud if in the car with the window down, or lieing on the floor next to the sill while revving the engine, but not do loud, or barely audible if you stand over the engine revving it.

I'm sure I can even hear it louder at the tail pipe, that at the engine.

In the car, it seems to come from down, and infront of the drivers seat. basically exactly where the engine/trans/exhaust runs.

The sound is hard to describe, it sounds like a pea in a coffee can being shaken arround, or as if someone had placed a ball bearing on a biscuit tin lid and put the lid on a subwoofer, so both the lid and the bearing are vibrating at different frequencies and both increase if it is revved.

If it is pinking, why is it doing it at idle. I'm changing the fuel filter tomorrow, as I already bought it and the one on there looks like it has been arround since pr-ice age. But surely it couldn't be leaning out too badly or it wouldn't boost fully, would have exploded in the last 3 months, and would run far hotter than even the fan could handle?

Little help hear guys.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Exhaust heat shield rattling?

Reply to
DanTXD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, DanTXD decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

You are Peter and ICMFF Fiats.

It's probably the silly dump valve thing.

Reply to
Pete M

My 200SX was much better after heat shield fell off the back box.

Reply to
Peter Hill

try the exhaust system bolts, every now and then i had to tighten them on my MK1 as they worked lose. i put it down to the firm suspension and rough back roads working them lose. the noise could also be echoing around if in the engine so could be coming from somewhere completely different.

get a friend to rev it to get it to rattle and start crawling around :)

Reply to
Vamp

Get the stat changed first - I had exactly the same temp wierdness on the TI, and the sum total of £9 for a new stat from my local Rover dealer, was all it cost to fix.

Rattle, I suspect is your cat. When they get old enough, the insides break up, and rattle around in the pipe. They'll also cause/remove restriction when they're moving about, which accounts for your boost/power fluctuations.

I'm assuming your engine has a knock-sensor (as all modern lumps do), so I can't see pinking being an issue ?

Reply to
Nom

have the stat, currently growing the extra long, extra slim limb needed to remove it, and working out what is suitable to hold 5 litres of coolant, but fit under the front skirt while it is on the floor.

I was thinking that, especially as it happens once warm, and everything is fully expanded. Decat pipe coming then, especially as it is pre-CAT emissions test.

Yes there is a knock sensor, but a 10 year old one at that, and I happen to know that a Toyota one is stupid pounds.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Something to check for, cheers.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Lol, nope this noise exists, and i'm saying, I don't think it's pinking, even though it sounds like it might be. Definatley a rattle.

Nah, that sounds totally different, at totally different times.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I'm going to get under and see if any bolts are loose, The exhaust itself doesn't have too much shielding, but the CAT, and manifold has loads, and lots of parts to the exhaust. Might take a while.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

As above or still could be pinking- the high temp would make it more prone- even at justa above idle speed- what CR does this motor run?

Try a dash of octane booster and see if it vanishes. If so- it was pinking.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Fairly low, 8.1:1 running on Super unleaded ATM, but should run fine on swamp gas 95.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

a twosrus.com one isn't as exspensive as toyota's and lasts longer i believe :)

Reply to
Vamp

I'll have a looksee at that, and see what they have, and check with the GT4OC tech guys, see if it is the same.

BTW, have you heard of the AP modified APexi PFC? Supposedly compatable with the rev 2 MR2 tubby, and the ST185, where the normal one is only compatable with the St205 and rev 3 rubby?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

yep, let me know if you want info :) think you can nick a few bits off a rev3/ST205 and make it work :)

Reply to
Vamp