Catalytic Converter

Re: 1991 Miata

What signs when your Catalytic Converter is going or is gone. Any odors? Sound?

Reply to
Gary

If the element inside the metal housing is falling apart, it will rattle like a can full of gravel. Pieces can actually come loose and jam against your oxygen sensor. I had this happen in my 1996 miata and suddenly had almost no power in the left lane of a busy freeway. This was when Jackson Racing was selling defective units years ago.

If the catalytic converter is just getting clogged up with use or if it has been damaged, you should notice a considerable decrease in power. It is also likely that your check engine light will come on, but not necessarily.

I had a 1987 Maxima, (uhg!), that had a very sudden loss of power. I was looking the car over with it running and noticed that the catalytic converter was glowing red. I immediately shut the car down, hollowed out the cat, I mean I replaced it of course, and everything ran fine.

Good luck!

Pat

Reply to
pws

i would only know if it didn't pass inspection ;) a cheap non-oem replacement can be found at summitracing.com $75 for one with direct fit flanges, $107 in stainless steel.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Just went through this on my truck. Never noticed any odors. Extreme loss of power, losing speed in second stage passing gear, barely making it up the bridge over the Mississippi river. Finally took out the cat, cleared out the guts and went for a drive, truck has NEVER run that good since I bought it. Just ordered a new cat from Summittracing.com. They beat my local parts stores by right at $100.00.

Reply to
BAK

I bought a 2000 Protege last year. Got a good deal on it; I believe other buyers passed because the "check engine" light was on. Drove fine; plenty of power. Had my handy code reader with me and pegged the problem as either an O2 sensor or catalytic converter.

Had to change both but it was a great deal even so.

Don't know why it was bad. Definitely was not falling apart; no loose parts. It just didn't provide any catalyst anymore. This was an easy job on the 1.6L four. Perhaps a previous owner used leaded fuel?

To answer the question: the check engine light was on and the car failed emissions testing when I only changed the O2 sensor and reset the light (light came back on during the test). Changed out the cat and all was well.

Ken

Gary wrote:

Reply to
KWS