96 Cherokee headlight problem

Ok I'll try this here. The headlights don't work. Have brights, brake lights, running lights and dash lights. Just no low beams. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my daughter works nights.

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
GGinn

I'd first check the usuals, fuse and relay.

Reply to
DougW

well the fuses appeared ok, where might I find the relays?

Thanks

Reply to
GGinn

Did you pull the fuse to look? They can look fine from the top but actually be blown.

As for the relay, I mispoke. Your XJ doesn't have one.

DougW

Yes I pulled and checked the fuses and they were fine. Going to go over a few things with the multi meter. Thanks alot for the input.

Greg

Reply to
GGinn

one.http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/1993_94_95_fusebox_fuses_an...>>

Did you consider the possibility that both low beams have burned out at the same time? That's happened more often than one would realize!

Reply to
PeterD

one.http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/1993_94_95_fusebox_fuses_an...>>>

Good point, easily checked by just applying voltage, however, the OP mentioned the running lights are working.

If those are the daytime running lights that use the low beam elements, that could possibly rule this out. It would also make the DRL control module a suspect.

Does this particular jeep have the daytime running lights that use low beam filament?

Does it have fog lamps?

Do you have about 90 dollars and

where you could get a full wiring diagram? I dont think youd need the body diagnostic manual for this.

Reply to
Lon

This has happened to me 3 times that I can distinctly recall although it seems like the odds would be billions to one.

If you have voltage to the headlight plugs, both low beam filaments can be bad.

Merrill

Reply to
merrill

I had same thing 3-4 years ago. Lately found that headlights switch was problem. Only, my XJ is from'92 and it has different kind of headlights switch than your model I suppose. Regards

Reply to
Clayton Delaney

Well this vehicle does not have dt running lights. I am suspecting the switch at this point

Reply to
GGinn