96 XJ - clunk when starting only after moderately quick stop

My 96 XJ (145K miles) produces strong clunk upon initial acceleration after a moderately quick stop. The quicker the stop, the stronger the clunk. It does not do this after normal conservative braking. The drive shaft U-joints are nice and tight. Nothing appears to be loose or worn. I have had the vehicle about a year. Any ideas what causes this type of flex? Is it just normal behavior of leaf springs to wind up and unwind causing this movement? Thanks.

Reply to
rgarrett

The bushings in the leaf spring eyes can wear out and allow lateral contact with the shackles. Also check that all bolts on your suspension are tight.

Sounds like you are sure it is coming from the rear, but noises can travel. Could be bad bushings/joints/ends or loose bolts in control arms or steering components. Even worn hinge pins on a door can cause clunks that seem to come from below.

Steve

rgarrett wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Besides the spring bushings, you likely have a slip joint in the rear axle that will cause a clunk when it needs grease.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike is right as usual. Starting around 96 they changed the output of the transfer case going to the rear axel. I had the noise on a 96 with 140k miles and it's 99 xj replacement with 90k miles on it. It's a easy fix just drop the rear of the shaft and slide it out of the transfer case. A little dexron may come out of the transfer case so put a pan or whatever under it. Once off clean the spline and coat it evenly with NEVER SEIZE. I did the 96 over a year ago and the noise is still gone. Make sure to use lock-tite on the clamp nuts on the rear diff.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo