97 4cyl TJ Wrangler

I've been combing the web for conversion notes from a 2.5L SE to 4.0L Sport engine swap with no luck. I found a thread on this forum from back in 1998 that said I'd need the Sport transmission and bell housing to go with the 6cyl. and that the swap would probably be pretty boring, but no further details. I have to believe this has been done by many unsatisfied 4cyl. owners. Does anyone have any personal experience or know of a link?

Reply to
Chehalisd

You will need a 6cyl transmission. The AX5 will not hold up to the 4.0. Your best bet is to find a wrecked Cherokee with either the auto or manual (Though the auto would probably be easier) and swap the engine, transmission, ECU and wiring harness. You'll also need new driveshafts. The rear you *may* be able to salvage from an automatic wrangler. The cherokee front shaft *may* work on the wrangler front shaft. Your stock front shaft may also work, but the rear shaft wont (incorrect spline count).

It's a difficult and complicated swap. I don't belive it's been done by many

2.5L owners. I had an 89 YJ 2.5L that turned 33" tires through 4.10 gearing without issue.

You're better off buying a 4.0 throttle body, header, and exhaust IMO.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

The Cherokee used an electronic four speed automatic with overdrive. This was too long for the Wrangler, which used a three speed automatic to save length. He might be able to shoe horn the Cherokee auto in there, but he may then have drive line problems without a slip joint eliminator. The AX15 manual transmission may be the right length, but I believe it is a bit longer than the AX5, so he will likely need drive shafts. The best way to accomplish this swap is to trade the vehicle in on a six cylinder. I cannot over-emphasize how much easier that would be. I am pretty happy with mine, although I do have a throttle body and cat-back upgrades. It will do eighty on level ground, which is way above the speed limit.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

messagenews:zJednZIFbZ-M1SXYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Chehalisd

It all depends on your local smog requirements.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

It's a waste of time in my opinion. You want to step back and think of easier ways to do this. Taking over an abandoned project you find in the newspaper is one. You could probably find one for ten cents on the dollar. If you like fabricating parts and can do it well, then maybe this isn't such a bad idea. But if you were like that, you would already have your own custom off road vehicle business and more orders than you could possibly handle.

Earle

messagenews:zJednZIFbZ-M1SXYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

driveshafts.

Reply to
Earle Horton

I suspect you would be better selling it, and buying a 4.0

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne