6 cyl. YJ or 4 cyl. TJ?????????

So I am currently in a quest to buy a YJ or a TJ....ideally i would like to stick with fuel injection....anywho from shopping around it looks like i could get a decent 6 cyl YJ or a 4 cyl TJ. Which should i go for...given I can actually save up the money! This would be a primarly off road vehicle, the only street driving would be to get to the trails! Thanks again!

Reply to
Esty

either would serve you well, but given that choice i would choose the 4 cylinder tj.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

"the only street driving would be to get to the trails!"

You'll change your tune after owning it a bit. These things are fun to drive anywhere.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Go with the 6 cyl.! We have two members with 4 cyl. YJ's and they both cry about power constantly. They add all these bolt on devices trying to get more power (throttle body, inertia rings, K&N, electric fan, etc.). But no matter what they do, it doesn't replace cubic inches. On the trail the problem is torque... the 4 cyl. wants to stall out... have to feather the clutch and keep RPM's up. On the highway any small hill they have to down shift and no passing power.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R
Reply to
JimG

spoken like a true hardcore jeeper!

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Generally, when talking about stock unmodified jeeps, the earlier the production year, the more suitable for off-roading.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

please explain.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

That is patently false.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yea... please explain! I would love to have a stock Rubicon for the trail!

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R
Reply to
JimG

Reply to
twaldron

Agreed!

snip

Reply to
mabar

What!

That's nonsense!

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Yup, I am going to mostly agree too....

My CJ7 with stock open diffs is always the one the TJ's follow to see if they can get where I am at. Most of my photo albums are of newer Jeeps trying and trying and... to get up or over to where I be.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'm not sure I understand your question Bill. Are you saying that "earlier production year" models are 1/3 the weight of a Rubicon? Lets see... my CJ weighs 3400 lbs, so a Rubicon weighs over 10,000 lbs?

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Nothing more that four 35" BFG's and a Warn winch (can't remember if I had my hard top and doors). We actually weighed one day at a rock quarry.

Reply to
JimG

You must have more skill and guts than the young TJ owners.

JimG

Reply to
JimG