'97 XJ still won't start, any more suggestions?

hello again,

I posted earlier this week regarding my xj, thanks to all that made suggestions-- however, nothing worked.

So let's start with the facts: '97 xj sport, 4.0L 6 cylinder, 141,000 automatic.

the story so far:

It was fine up until last Sunday morning when i went to start it for work, and it would only turn over-- no spark, and i couldn't pull up any of the codes with the check engine light ( i could before, even a

55 if nothing else was wrong).

So into the garage it went, first was the thing in the distributor-- crank sensor? that didn't work. Next they realized they could not connect with the computer, either way, so then came a new (used) PCM, and that didn't work, fuses were all checked, still nothing.

That's where it stands now, they know its an electrical problem, it's just a matter as to what....any ideas?

oh and i forgot, when they try to start it, the check engine light doesn't seem to come on at all anymore.

Please, any more suggestions to look at?

thank you, Sandy

Reply to
milk

Did they verify the body has a ground? There is a mesh strap that rots easy located from the rear of the engine to the firewall. This is needed for the computer to turn on.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Hi Mike,

Yes, the ground is intact and they tested to make sure the jeep had a ground. I forgot to mention that in the original post.

What else is there to consider?

thanks,

Sandy

Reply to
milk

The "thing in the distributor" isn't the crank sensor. That is the cam sensor. The crank sensor bolts to the top left side of the transmission bell housing.

I have two suggestions.

Replace the crank sensor.

Never take a vehicle to that "garage" again.

Reply to
bllsht