93 plymouth laser - won't turn over

my laser just didn't start one night. i came home after work, went to go out later, and no go.

my mechanic said it was the distributor, so we got one and that didn't make it start. he's still working on it.

it will crank and crank but it won't go that last little bit to turn over. tried jumping, but of course that did nothing. no other problems.

any ideas?

Reply to
siobahn.hyser

Likely suspects are fuel and spark.

Need to see if you get spark at the plugs. If not (and you have replaced the dist) it could be the ignition coil.

If spark is good and strong at the plugs then you suspect fuel shortage. Checking for that is a little more tricky (is there fuel, what pressure)

Reply to
mkfdar

" snipped-for-privacy@Aol.com" wrote in news:1148329650.835536.298260 @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

You might also want to check the ECU, this vintage had a problem with leaky capacitors. You can check it with a simple DMM or VOM. Google "laser /Eclipse ECU. There is a site with full details and pictures, on how to do the repairs. If you can get someone to do the caps on the ECU (it's simple) the cost in parts is about $5.00 CDN. A new ECU from Chrysler three years ago was $2000.00 CDN. Auto wreckers are all over the place with prices. There are on line sites that will repair them.

I had the same problem with my sons 91 Laser, twice. I checked every damn sensor in the car, before reading in the service manual, on how to check the ECU for failure, takes about 5 minutes, you don't even need to start the car to test it. I have since repaired his ECU's and now he carries a spare.

Reply to
Nirodac

Reply to
Keith

"Keith" wrote in news:bstcg.938$%Z2.126619 @news20.bellglobal.com:

Lucky you, one less part to go wrong. Actually it depends on which engine you have. The 2.0 liter has electronic ignition control (one of two coils are fired under control of the ECU, at the correct time). The 1.8 liter engine has the conventional distributer (the ECU fires only one coil), a rotor distributes the spark.

Reply to
Nirodac