97 ZJ 5.2L Fan Clutch OEM-- Price is crazy

Just got back from Cedar Point after about 10 hours of driving each way. When i left i had a kind of a knock at idle in some pulley. Tracked it down last night finally.

Dealer Price - $454.00 - I called 2 different dealers - The second dealer even told me to order from Partsource:-) Local Part Monger - $81.00

I guess we are going Chinese on this part.

Reply to
jamest

Make sure there's no lead in the paint.

Chris

And the funny part is that Chysler does not even make the clutch fan, it is out sourced like many parts for many brands and you know they are not paying even 80 bucks for it from out source suppiier. I guess if they cannnot make money on new cars they are trying to make it up on parts.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

For that much you could convert to an electric fan and free up a few HPs as well.

Reply to
nrs

Not a lot of space in there for a fan even after removing the clutch.

chryslerpartsdirect.com has the OEM clutch for US$230.10 On the site it's under Cooling sytem/Cooling fan/Fan clutch

Reply to
DougW

The stories I could tell you about that. When I worked for a company here that makes hydraulic components, we made a few part numbers for Diamond Star. They were power steering hoses. One of the parts we made was identical to one found on a co-worker's truck, so we called the local dealer to get a price on the hose. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the hose cost from the dealer was about $140. We were selling that same hose to Diamond Star for about $12.50.

Chris

you're right, chrysler doesn't produce it, a supplier does. and typically the suppliers are obliged under contract to supply the part at the volume price (probably under $25 for this kind of part) for service through the end of the model run and three years afterwards.

after that, the suppliers can raise prices as much as they can negotiate with Mopar. considering how aggressive the Big 3 purchasing departments have been on suppliers for current production parts, the suppliers are getting aggressive pushing prices up where ever they can. service parts are one of these areas.

reboot

Reply to
reboot

I've found that some dealerships will haggle over parts just like they do cars. Quite often I can get the "jobber" rate or a discount due to where I work.

Reply to
DougW

Plus with a 5.2 he doesn't need more HP!

Reply to
nrs

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

You can never have enough HP, just too little traction. :)

Reply to
DougW

Turns out the 'cheap' part is made in USA as well. Good News!!

Reply to
jamest