97 ZJ 5.2L -- Light Rattle at Idle --Solved

Success!! After hunting for a month, stethoscope in hand and replacing a few parts , it was the water pump. Once I had the pump off you could see it had been leaking.

I had a devil of a time getting the heater return tube to seal properly.-- why this isn't a hose I'll never know. I dont know if the last guy bent it or what , I kept ruining the o-ring. After a couple of orings we bent the tube so it would enter the pump more squarely and I coated the end of with some RTX gasket sealer. Now shes dry as a bone and running very smooth.

Idle Pulley - No Fan Clutch - No Alternator - No Water Pump - Yes!!

Oddly enough I could only hear this rattle after I had replaced the MAP and TPS Sensors and got the idle right.

Reply to
jamest