Oil light flickering at idle

Hi folk

Just started today.....

1998 110 defender, oil light at dead idle is flikering. Slight revs makes it stop, also noticed that this was not consistant, ie, for about an hour of the 3 hours around town the problem did not exist.

Somebody please put my mind at rest !!!!

Reply to
Robert

so long as light goes out as soon as the slightest increase in revs happens you could probably get away with keeping going for many miles.. a few things can cause oil pressure to drop, often its just age and wear...is an oil change overdue? old wornout oil can cause this too. as always its only my opinion of course ;)

Reply to
steve

I presume you checked the oil level. Do this when engine is cold. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

It sounds like the can bearings have shifted a bit. Whether you want to do anything about it or not is up to you, but keep an eye on it, there comes a point at which there will be very little oil pressure - even with the light out.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:04:24 +1300, "Robert" enlightened us thusly:

oil and filter been changed recently?

if not, then that's probably yer culprit. Check the operating temperature too/.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
Paul Coley

Mine does not just flicker it remains on at idle it is just a reminder to top up, have not siezed up yet or come to grief, I guess the more worn the engine the more tolerance to low oil pressure, especially while the engine is warming up which practically never happens in this current weather.

Reply to
Larry

Probably is - Rover V8's aren't all that keen on low viscosity oils (like 0W30). I tend to run them on a high spec 20W/50 mineral oil (mostly Pennzoil GT race oil) or a synthetic 20W/50 if the customer really wants to waste money.

Reply to
EMB

Maybe idle is too low. Slight increase (Slight revs) may solve problem. Yours Gmacz

Reply to
Gmacz

This is one of the obvious things to check, along with oil level and quality (is an oil-change due?)

Related, in cold weather Land Rovers can run a bit cold, since the radiators are specced to cope with hot climates. So they may need a touch of choke to maintain idle speed. Some sort of baffle to reduce the airflow, and cooling effect, is a better answer, and it can be quickly tried.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Sat, 08 Jan 2005 08:40:27 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I used 20W50 on the older engines, but I've decided that this one seems to like GTX "for high mileage engines" (daft buggers, Castrol) which is I think

15W40. It doesn't complain about it.

the only thing that's really worthy of note about V8s is to have anti-sludging oil, if available in your preferred viscosity.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My 300TDi did it after a hot long run, changed the switch for new and it's not done it since.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Tested it this morning and didnt happen while engine cold, havnt gone anywhere today to if it still happens while hot.

Reply to
Robert

twice in 5k miles and it has never done it again, just coming up to 200k now. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I had this trouble on my 110 (95ish). The garage it came from adjusted the idle speed and there's been no problem since.

This happened on a long trips too.

Andy

Reply to
andy:p

Slow idle, dodgy oil pressure switch, oil too thin (old or hot) or (dare I say it) oil pressure actually too low!

Reply to
AJG

It will be the oil pressure switch . The only ones I ever change are on

1998 300 tdis. must have been a bad batch
Reply to
marc