'98 XJ Radiator Replacement

Hi all,

I discovered over the weekend that the radiator on my wife's '98 Cherokee needs to be replaced. Nearly every place where the core is crimped around the tank has split, though only one spot is leaking so far. I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) Should I stick with an OEM replacement, or is the OEM radiator crap? 2) If the answer to 1) is "crap," which aftermarket brands are trustworthy? 3) Is this an at-home project? Should I expect it to take longer than a day if I attempt it myself? I've replaced three water pumps on an older model XJ previously, so I'm reasonably competent. 4) It's an auto transmission with the transmission cooler. What do I need to watch out for as far as the trans-cooler? 5) Is the OEM radiator a single core? I'll probably upgrade to a 2 or 3 core if this is the case.

I've put some epoxy on the leak for now so we're good for the week. I'm hoping to spend the coming Saturday doing the replacement. Thanks for the help.

-Chris-

Reply to
Chris Cavin

Since when were water pumps a sign of competency???? j/k man, I have to deal with a 99 XJ myself....

Give me a few days, and I will get the pages out of the 99 XJ FSM for you, if you want...shoot me an email, if you are insterested, I can scan it for you. As for any actual info, I don't have it right now, I have to venture off to work.

Reply to
Joseph P

OEM from the dealer is a two core that runs about $200... I bought a three core all medal replacement for $165 (including shipping to my door) from

I bought a GDI three core from

Make sure you get all the parts! They didn't include two "L" brackets fro the upper radiator support. That was a real pisser, I started on a Saturday and had to wait until Monday to go pick them up locally. In my case I assume it was a fluke... I've heard nothing bad about radiator.com....

It took me about two to three hours all together, I really took my time to make sure I did everything right though...

Trans oil dripping onto your driveway! Make sure you use "plumbers tape" (not sure what it is really called) on the upper trans line mount. I didn't and it leaked... thankfully my next door neighbor had some for me.

OEM is two core.

If you have a basic knowledge of your Jeep you'll be fine.... heck you've done the water pump so you should have no problem with the radiator. It was my first "big" job and it has gone well... Good luck!

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor

Speaking of water pumps... what are the signs of them going bad or not working as well as they should?

My '98 XJ does not over heat and everything works fine however it appears that in traffic the temp tends to rise faster than it did before and when the electric fan turns on it cools back to normal fast.

Call me paranoid but it just seems that at idle the temp rises faster than it used to... I replaced the thermostat about a year ago, now it has a 3 core radiator instead of the original 2 core and the coolant is fresh.

Am I being paranoid or could this be a sign of a water pump not working as good as it should be?

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor

Just replaced mine also, I replaced the radiator, water pump and belt. My temp is doing the same thing your does.

1996 XJ

Reply to
peltierp