99 Cherokee Bucking Problem

Hi,

The past few weeks, I have noticed a sporadic bucking problem with my 1999 6 cyl 4.0 Cherokee Sport. When I accelerate very slowly or very hard, the vehicle performs normally. But sometimes when I need a little kick (an example would be getting on the highway) the vehicle bucks a few times. I would have already brought it into the mechanic, but this doesn't happen all the time (it is actually more noticable with a heavy load in the vehicle or in warmer weather).

I am using 87 octane (which the manual recommends) and have followed all of the necessary maintenance recommendations. I'm guessing spark plugs/wires but I could be wrong.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Goomba

Have the codes read, but I'm willing to bet that there won't be any codes... I had exactly the identical problem with my 93 XJ, after many trips to the stealership (no codes were ever captured) the one technician (very good guy who happens to only work on J**P's) decided that it was worth it to change out the Crank Position Sensor on speculation, I was given 2 weeks to drive (before being billed for it) and see if the symptoms returned, 4 years and thousand's on km's later the problem has never come back..

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Reply to
Wildman

My friend has a diesel 2500 Ram. I know this is a jeep home, but his truck was doing the same thing and it ended up being the crank position sensor. Check pricing. maybe it's a cheap garage or driveway fix.

All the best!! Paul

Reply to
Paul Brogren

The driveway fix is a real PITA., the sensor lives on the tranny bell housing and requires the use of multiple extensions and universals, a small local garage might be a cheap alternative, but many times these small shops will also want to change lots of other parts as well.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

this magnetic sensor (CPS) has two bolts the bolt holes are sloppy so you can adjust it sometimes one side is fixed for tight fit and the upper is loose fit.

1- loosen the upper bolt and push the sensor , closer to the flywheel. 2- retighten and test drive. ( think like tuning a radio , cuz that is what it is) I used qty 2 , 12" 3/8's drive extensions to do it.

Jelly the gear head. (electronics tech and mech) ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) remove the -xxx to send email if you like

The right side of the block has this ground stud and the ignition and many things ground to this Meca ground. Some times it is loose , some times (many) the Ignition ring lug was poorly crimped in the factory. Flux, and Solder it and put it back for Great Spark.

good luck to one and all.

Reply to
Jelly