10-yr old battery in 2000 Camry ~ how long can it last?

Early next year, my Camry turns ten, and likewise its original battery. No one, not even my mechanic, has seen a battery older than 8.5. I'd like to take some credit, but the battery is maintenance-free! The condition indicator still looks normal. At this point I have to keep waiting in the interest of science, but I fear it's becoming risky on long trips. Will the indicator warn before it dies? Any advice?

Thanks, Jake

P.S. Toyota says the same battery is not for sale as replacement in the USA.

Reply to
jake

I replaced the battery in my 99 Camry at just over the 10 year mark. Still worked fine but in the cold Canadian subarctic I was not about to gamble.

Reply to
Sharx35

Its winter why risk anything, most shops and maybe autozone types can load test a battery for free and tell you what its condition is, The green indicator is not telling you everything. Id at least read up and see whats for sale

will teach you alot. Once I got a jump and went to sears on Christmas eve, I paid and pulled infront of sears to go back in when I came out it wouldnt start and the mechanics were leaving and didnt care, 10 yrs, you got your moneys worth.

Reply to
ransley

It's time to replace the battery. Batteries live a lot longer when they don't get too hot (or cold enough to freeze!) and when they don't get deeply discharged or overcharged. Cars that start instantly in all weather and have good charging systems tend to preserve their batteries for many years.

Reply to
Leftie

If you are lucky it will show some symptoms before it dies. If you are not lucky? Well, Murphy's law comes to mind.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

I have a 1995 4/cyl 2.2/16v CAMRY from new. The battery lasted 9.5 years. Fine one night. Totally dead the next morning, it was a Panasonic.

On the same vein I just replaced the ORIGINAL silencer/muffler 3 weeks ago. It lasted 14 years and 2 months. I had a good laugh from the Toyota main dealers managers when I complained about the poor life and warranty period.

100,000 miles is due up this month.

Happy new year you guys.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

At low revolutions my Camry is bucking. If I press the clutch and then slowly release it the problem goes away, but returns shortly afterwards. Over time the revolutions at which this problem occurs seem to be increasing from 800 to 1400 nowadays. In first gear the problem is worse (or more noticable) than in higher gears. In neutral the problem doesn't appear to exist (even though the revs are down to 5 or 600). I get the same phenomena on gas and LPG.

It's a 4 cyl 5 speed manual shift Camry 2.1i, 1999, 156.000 miles, dual fuel (gas and LPG). Other than the bucking it's in great shape. It passed inspection (including environmental) a few weeks ago, and mileage is steady.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Bert

PS Sorry for my English, it is not my native language.

Reply to
Bert

Which battery do you have? A Panasonic, or a Toyota?

If you have a Panasonic, fantastic. Mine lasted 2 years and shorted a cell and sprayed acid all over the hood! The one in my new '87 Corolla didn't spray acid all over the place, but went dead FAST!

Toyotas used to come with these green batteries with no name on them at all. Not Panasonic, not Toyota, nothing. I later found out they were made in Japan by Yuasa. You couldn't buy them either, except for motorcycle batteries.

Toyota started selling their own brand, Toyota, naturally, and I found out they are made by Exide, and then I found out Exide has been owned for a number of years by...Yuasa...I have had an Exide/Yuasa/Toyota battery in the Corolla that got sprayed by the Panasonic battery for...10 years. Cost $80. It is now in a Mazda and starts on the first crank. Well worth the $8 a year it cost.

Reply to
Hachiroku