A progress report on Mr. Deutz

As I reported some time ago I "adopted" a seized Deutz engine some time ago with the understanding it would certainly need TLC and might well be a sinkhole of money.

The good news is, Mr. Deutz is now a dismantled pile of parts in my garage. The crankcase and crank are OK: one galled rod journal will definitely need turning, which means they all will, but it's standard size so there's room there. The heads are OK as are two of the four cylinders.

Sure enough, one of the pistons was so badly seized I wound up cutting the cylinder off the piston with an air abrasive cutoff saw. The cam and lifters were scrap, of course.

The crank is going in for Magnaflux, turning and prep tomorrow. If cracks are found-which I doubt- or my miking is bad Bad News could still occur, but depending on the cost of the pump rework and miscellaneous parts Mr. Deutz may be blowing smoke again for under a thousand dollars, and if I can get a pair of used serviceable jugs and slugs, maybe a few hundred.

I'm starting to thiink about mounts, transmission bellhousing, and stuff like that now, along with what I am going to do for heat-probably a South Wind or Webasto heater.

This may turn out okay after all!

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Are you taking pictures?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

No, saw no reason to. The book is VERY detailed...and for the price, it ought to be.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

So after spending all this money on the thing, what do you do with it? Make a coffee table out of it or a mailbox? A planter maybe?

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I meant pictures of your rebuild to share. I'm interested in seeing it.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I told you the cylinders would be bad. I strongly advise against the use of "used serviceable jugs" but it's your money. On air cooled engines, it is understood that the cylinders are a maintenance item.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

When you hear it start up, you will think he has a coffee *grinder*, not a coffee table.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

LOL! Seriously Earle, what are you going to put it in?

Kate

: > KJK : >

: >

: :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Whoops... should have been Seriously Bret what are you going to put it in....?

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Originally I thought I'd buy a cheap Jeep, now I'm not as sure. It's going to be an expensive project no matter what, night as well do it right. A TJ would be the best home for it overall, I think.

I haven't taken pictures...I might, but where would i put them?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

A Deutz sounds nothing like a coffee grinder. More like a wounded, bellowing moose....Yes, they are loud, but it's mostly blower noise. I'm told there is a mine blower kit that quiets them somewhat but is a little expensive.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

There are lots of free places, I like WebShots for a free site. I would imagine anyplace that will let you load for free and your viewers don't have to join.

Oh, and a popcorn machine in the lobby would be good. Maybe some cold beers.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

There is the newsgroup alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 that is pretty unused and lots of free sites.

I use Sony's ImageStation as do a lot of folks here. You have to watch them though, they 'now' allow viewing by non members as they 'used' to, but they switched for a while and were useless. I guess enough complaints got action?

They are at

You can check out the photoalbums in my sig line link to see their formats. I live up in the Great White North and unless I was restoring a vintage VW Bug, there is no way I would try to run an air cooled engine. I am too used to having real hot heat now in my CJ7. I kinda like it. :-)

Mike

Mike Romain

My brother has a Type III (Squareback) with the Eberspacher gas heater out of an old Type II (bus). They live in South Dakota and when it gets REALLY cold it's the only vehicle they own that starts every time! They use synthetic oil and a huge surplus aircraft nicad battery. I think if the engine doesn't start they just drive it on the starter.

I'm doing my homework now on "gas" heaters that also run on diesel. I think they will since South Wind aircraft heaters are common to cabin class recip and turbine twins.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

I remember the VW gas heater... Hit the switch just right on that and it would send a 3' shot of flame out the front wheelwell...

When it did actually work, I still needed a scraper in one hand to keep the windshield ice free on the inside.

Mike

Mike Romain

These things will actually supply cabin heat, if maintained properly. That "if" is a big one. If not, they will shoot a three foot flame out the wheel well, do nothing, or asphyxiate everyone inside the cabin. Like anything else automotive, they will probably not work properly if repaired with anything other than genuine replacement parts or the equivalent.

That said, Espar seems to be the current place to buy a new unit. The first link is to the supplemental air heaters. The second is to the coolant heater, which could be used in conjunction with the existing cabin heater, to make a stand alone hydronic heating system, or be the boiler for Bret's Jeep.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I'm a retired equipment operator. On a lot of cranes that I operated there were propane fired heaters that did a great job of keeping the cab comfortable and kept the glass fog free which is how we were able to convince the company to keep the cranes supplied with plenty of 5 gal propane tanks, visibility = safety.

Reply to
Smitty