Help with 92 Sahara Purchase

I use to have a 78 CJ5/360 and I am now looking to buy a 92 Wrangler Sahara 4.0/5-speed from a private owner:

Just wanted to hear some war stories about this year of YJ's and the reliability of the 4.0, common problems. The owner tells me he has owned it for 3 years and bought it from a dealership, I am going to carfax it to get the full history. The 189K miles throws me a red flag, but I can always have it rebuilt, but want it to last a few years. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. Think it's a good deal?

Thanks! Chris

Reply to
rmccinc

I had that motor in a '90 Cherokee I bought new. When I sold it, it had

275,000 miles on it. That was in 1999. It is still running with over 345,000 on it now, with a new starter, and a new alternator and water pump. I changed the oil every 3000/3500 miles. It has lived out several lifetimes, in car years.

Nothing else has been replaced, except for yearly tune ups, and new belts and hoses every two years.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I have a '91 YJ with 4.0 and five speed. I replaced the clutch, slave cylinder and master clutch cylinder this year. Mostly to solve shifting problems. I had the granny rebuilt since it was out and the end of the output shaft was galled. Nothing else major, just stuff like an alternator and belt, new points, plugs and condenser when I replaced the plug wires and the fuel pump. I have over 155k miles and the engine runs strong, does not use oil or smoke. I still need sew seats.

Reply to
Jim Gemmill
189K? Is that all. My 91YJ just turned 254K. Still strong and no issues. BTW, 1/3 of that was off road.
Reply to
reconair

How hard are those points to replace on your '92 4.0? ;-)

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

Too bad, I thought you might have retro'ed the distributor and was wondering how you liked it.

Anyhow to the OP, we have over 310K km on our 88 4.0 and it is still going strong.

Mike

Mike Romain

My 94 YJ Sahara has 329224 km. I had to replace the original radiator, water pump, coolant hoses including the heater hoses at 304101 km. The fuel pump is starting to get weak and the injectors probably need replacing due to the low rpm symptoms. I also have a lazy lifter when it's cold. The 2nd gear synco is also lazy in the cold, so I double clutch. All the oil and lube is synthetic which really helps. I think the Jeep CJ, YJ, TJ is the best designed long lasting domestic OEM body, engine and tranny out there as far as domestic cars are concerned. IMHO. BTW, my Sahara seats are like strong canvas and they are still good with no tears or cuts. They last longer than leather.

Reply to
Peter Parker