92' toyota corolla speedometer

Hi,

I have a 1992 toytoa corolla dx, and a little while ago the speedometer on my gauge cluster just totally stopped working. Everything else on the gauge cluster works except for the speedometer.

And if someone could help me figure out this problem i would greatly apreciate it.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
bboi33

There are several possibilities. Does the odometer still work?

If the odometer still registers distance traveled, then the speedometer head itself is bad and needs replacement. By the way, it is possible for the speedometer head to be bad and the odometer does not work since they are the same assembly.

If the odometer does not work:

If the system has a mechanical cable (I think it does), then the possibilities are:

Cable disconnected or broken - to check if it is connected at the transmission, look for a cable that almost looks like the cable for cable TV with a bigger screw connector going in to the far right side of the transmission. You will have to pull the instrument cluster to see if it is disconnected at the speedometer head.

Speedometer drive gear in the transmission is broken.

If the system has an electronic speedometer:

The wiring between the speed sensor and the speedometer head could be disconnected or have an open circuit.

The speed sensor could be bad.

The speedometer head could be bad.

Reply to
Ray O