advice, jeeps, used

hello i am looking into buying a used jeep any where from 97 to 03 and i am just looking for some one that knows a little bit about jeeps and some stuff to look for when i am test driving and looking at cars and what kind of things to be carefull of.... if any body would like to give me some advice i would be very greatfull

-thanks

Reply to
stephenbuddrus

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

A few questions to help us give you advice.

What line of Jeep? TJ, XJ (Cherokee), ZJ/WJ (Grand Cherokee)... ?

What do you plan on doing with it? offroading mostly highway dirt/gravel

Are you ever planning on lifting it?

Putting larger tires on?

Towing anything?

If you haven't read these yet I suggest doing so.

(tips and advice)

DougW

Look under the carriage/chassis etc, if you find any nastty dirt mud, sand caked on etc, it prolly off roaded at some time. something to take into consideration, if they say they never "abused it". :)

Reply to
ULB

In that range I would suggest a 01 to 03 because Jeep switched over to a NV3550 vs the old AX15 if it is a manual. The 4 cyl was dropped in

01 and while many knock it it is not a bad engine. If you get one and want to lift it do regear axles. (4 or 6 banger) Where the 4 cyl gets its bad rap is from people lifting them and putting big tires on them and not regearing axles. I have a 4 banger with over 80K miles on a 2000 Cherokee I bought new that wifes drives daily and it has never failed to start and run once and runs well (it is stock and not lifted and has stock tires too) I never regreted getting it with a 4 banger (we had a hard time finding one too) It averages in the very high teens to low 20's in urban driving using A/C.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Check it completely for rust. Also, some of the newer TJs have the Dana 44 rear axle that is good to have if you can find it.

Reply to
nrs

As others have mentioned, check for rust and look for one as bone stock as you can find.

People have this tendency to drive a vehicle to the limits of the modifications so wear fast becomes a factor.

Also don't go thinking a 4 banger in a Jeep will give you better mileage or anything like that. They are just cheaper and lighter, nothing else. The 6 normally gets the better mileage between the two even.

If you highway drive lots, then you want the larger power plant.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Ditto. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

well i will be doing a lot of city driving with some off roading on the side and some trail stuff, so i will prob put a small lift on it eventuly, dose lifting it tend to create more problems or any thing. i do not no much and i appreceate your help alot, i want the six cylender engine.

Reply to
stephenbuddrus