Advice on tire/lift combo 2001 TJ Sport

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on a tire lift combination for my 2001 TJ Sport. I've got something in mind, but I thought it would be better to ask some other people who have tried different combos to get some feed back.

I've got the I6 engine, Dana 44 rear, 5 speed transmission, and dual tops. It has the 9.5x30" tire package on it as well. I'm pretty sure the rims are 15x8.

This thing spends most of it's life on the highway, but I want to get a little more clearance under it. It does go offroad, and I'm expecting to get it offroad more often since moving near the mountains, but still nothing too extreme.

I would like to get 33x10.5 or BF Goodrich AT tires, install 'em on the existing rims, and lift it maybe 2-2.5". I only want to lift it enough so the tires have sufficient clearance for off roading. Most of the website recommendations I've seen suggest 4" lifts for 33" tires.

I don't want to fool with drive shafts and angles right now, or diff gearing. I don't want to lose highway drivability.

Questions...

- are 33" tires too big? Maybe 32" are better.

- is a 2" lift enough for 33" tires?

- I've been told the BF Goodrich AT is the best bang for the buck? Any disputes or suggestions??

- Any suggestions on lifts that do not require changing the lower suspension arms?

- Any suggestions on any suspension lifts?

Thanks. Mike

Reply to
mike

If you're not planning on changing any gears, you live in the mountains and you don't want to lose "drive-ability" I'd suggest you go with 32's vice

33's. A 2" lift isn't really big enough for 33's if you're going to do any "off-roading" because you'll have rubbing problems and may bang the tire up into the wheelwell.

I'm kinda in the same boat you are.... I had the 30" tire package on my 98 TJ and it's a daily driver. I don't do any "serious" off-roading, but I wanted the extra ground clearance and bigger tires. Plus I pull a double jetski trailer so I didn't want to lose too much power and I didn't want to re-gear. I went with a Tera-Flex (2T) with will give you about 2.5-3" of lift. I'm also running 32x11.5's and I have no complaints. A slight drop in power but nothing noticable and the jeep looks great. If you'd like I'll take some pictures and send them to you so you can see what my Jeep looks like....

Reply to
Sakislayer

With a 3" lift you should not have to do a SYE. Just a transfer case lowering kit. A 4" lift should probably have a SYE.

A 2" lift with a 1" body lift should run most 33's ok. I ran 33's for years with a

3" Tera kit.

My suggestions:

3" lift, Tera, or RE. 2" lift OME w/a 1" body lift.

Running 33's with 3.73's (what I think you have for gearing) will mean loosing some upper end, not as much get up and go in 4th and 5th, 5th is only for cruising on the freeway long distances. Its quite livable IMO, but YMMV.

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
mike

I was thinking 33's because they would give me another 1.5" clearance, plus they look cool. If it wasn't for the additional expense and pain, I'd go for 35's.

I had a CJ years ago with 31's on it, and it worked and looked great. Had a

350 Chevy in it though.

Reply to
mike

Caster angle, I think... I assume that since with wider tires you'll lose your self-centering feel somewhat anyway, losing any caster will just make it that much worse and you'll find yourself wandering all over the road.

Reply to
Big Daddy