ah bugger. :(

Well, I'm on the way home today. Come to a stop at the stoplight and sputter..sputter..sputter...die. Does the same thing every time I come to a stop all the way home. Got it home and the idle cleared up a bit. No CheckEngine light but the diagnostics show an 11 (camshaft or crankshaft sensor outside window) So I cleaned the connectors.

Hope it's just a dirty connector. But who knows, time to throw another

90$ at the ZJ. On the bright side I've done both of these before so it's not difficult, just annoying. Wish the diagnostics would say which one is having problems. Although since it runs well at a higher RPM I'm thinking the camshaft sensor.
Reply to
DougW

Followup.. duh. :)

Test drive proved cleaning wasn't going to do the job. Called Napa and they had my part for $55 so off I go. This job is still the PAIN IN THE ASS I remembered it to be. But at least this time I had the extensions and remembered how to perform the human pretzel routine.

It's actually easier if you lay on your back and put your right side up against the front tire. Which is fun in the garage because that means my legs are going straight up the wall. It's good for the back though.

Think I know what caused this. The heat shield that shelters the transmission cable had a wear spot where it was rubbing/crushing the wire against the back of the sensor. I'm betting the failure was mechanical. Rerouted the wire and put some ties to keep the shift cable safely away.

The test drive had a few hiccups. I'm guessing the computer is relearning. Didn't zero it. And as a plus the grocery store I drove to had a sale on sodapop. mmmmm.. diet barks rootbeer! No caffeine, no calories and surprisingly tastes just like the regular barks does.

Reply to
DougW