Repetitive clunking in 4 wheel drive

98 XJ Cherokee, 4.0, Selec-Trac (or whatever you call the one with part time and full time)

Recently, leaving a driveway in the near-freezing rain I pulled the 4x4 handle all the way back into the full-time position. I happened to be accelerating a bit as I did so, and I immediately heard/felt a repetitive clunk-clunk-clunk that appeared to be coming from the transfer case/trans area. I immediately backed off the throttle, and the noise quit. So, again, to experiment I gave it a fair bit of gas and again got the clunk-clunk-clunk sounds. Mind you, this is not the expected clump sound/feel that you get when it engages or disengages properly, but rather is louder and stronger. The front feels like it is engaged, but anytime there is any load on it, such as accelerating (even fairly gently) it gives me the thump-thump-thump. Of course, not knowing what was going on, I dropped it out of 4 and took it home in 2 wheel.

I don't know if it could be related, but I just had the head gasket replaced and had a valve job done at the same time. I've put on about

4,000 miles since then and, I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the shop's workmanship, as a relatively trouble-free vehicle has quickly turned into a headache. I may or may not have run the four wheel drive since then. (cant remember, if I did, it was once on snow.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Jeff

Your clunk-clunk-clunk sounds like a U-joint or transfer case mount, but with a recent valve job think about the exhaust hitting something under the car. Does it feel as if something is hitting the floor?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jeff

It is not related.

It sounds like a stretched chain in the tcase. The chain stretches when you use 4WD on dry pavement. Well, not just dry, but any pavement where the coefficient of friction is too great for the tires to slip on the ground and release the stress that the tcase builds up.

If you really have Full Time 4WD, then your problem could be the viscous coupler in the tcase.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Selec-Trac doesn't have a viscous coupler, just an inter-axle differential. Chain sounds likely too, but I'm still betting on exhaust hitting the body.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My bet is on a u-joint gone bad.

If the exhaust 'is' hitting, then check the engine mounts out carefully. If the driver's side one goes on a 4.0, the exhaust will hit the front driveshaft when under torque.

Mike

Mike Romain

My '98 Cherokee did that when the linkage was out of adjustment and it wasn't "fully" engaged in 4WD.

The others could still be correct in that it is something more serious (chain, u-joint, etc.), but I'd always start with the simple stuff and work from there... :)

-John

Reply to
John Sevey