Air Conditioning Question

I have a Low Pressure guage for what I KNOW to be for R134a.

My question is, are the fittings for 134 and 12 different so that my guage will not fit any of the pressure ports on a R12 system?

I have a car in the driveway, and my guage fits the Low Pressure side. Since my guage is for a known R134 system, then the car I'm working on is also

134, right?
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff Strickland did pass the time by typing:

Yes, they were designed exactly that way to avoid confusion and mistakes. Since R-12 is not compatible with 134a.

They make adapters for the old hoses, that should give you an idea.

That would be a good assumption but you should look on the radiator shroud, on the accumulator, or on the compressor for the refrigerant sticky, just to be certain.

Reply to
DougW

Also a 134a gauge is different from an r-12 gauge in pressure readings are calibrated different and you should never use 134 gauges for 12 and visa versa due to oil contamination and incompatibility. I have 4 sets r12,

134a, puron 401 and freeze12.

A quick check to see if you are low with out a guage is to measure the temperature of the liquid line it should be between 50 to 57 degrees.

Reply to
Coasty

Coasty did pass the time by typing:

little topic drift, but the low side R-12 gauge with long hose makes a dandy fuel pressure gauge for diagnosis. Just ductape the sucker to the window, screw it onto the rail, and drive.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yep it sure does.

Reply to
Coasty

I didn't see any stickers, which is why I came here and asked. I feel pretty safe that I have a 134a system, and I know that I have a 134a Low Pressure guage. Since I have a 134a guage and it fits something, then I have a 134a system.

Thanks,

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

In the real world, all A/C and refrigeration equipment uses the same fittings irregardless of refrigerant used, be it R12, HCFC-134, R-22, or any of dozens of others.

Only in the automotive world is there a unique fitting for HCFC-134a. Because refrigeration people are not illiterate like automotive people and can follow written placards and color codes.

But you cannot go by the connector alone on an automotive or any other system that may have been modified or retrofitted. If the system is stock you go by the placards and by the service manual. How many cars have retrofit A/C anymore?

Reply to
Accessory Section 8

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Accessory Section 8 did pass the time by typing:

That is because in the automtotive world there is a bucketload of morons that don't know shit about AC and would destroy the system by putting god knows what as a TV fixitall.

Reply to
DougW

Someone at an emergency medicine symposium I attended, mentioned that people in his area were putting propane in their AC systems. The last time I bought propane, it was a buck-fifty a gallon. According to reports, it works well, but in the case of a collision or a leak it can create problems for emergency responders.

On a related subject, I heard that WD-40 used to use propane as a propellant. Picture something like this , plus a spark.

Earle

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton