960 air conditioning Q and info....

The Q first- where is the high-pressure-side connection for a gauge on this car (1993 960 estate)?. The low pressure is right near the drier(?.. the silver canister near the fire wall). I ask because....

I went to an air conditioning shop recommended by my alignment guy (who I trust). They couldn't find the high side port and said this car doesn't have one. They said they added about a pound of refrigerant. The air is now really cold and worked great yesterday on the way home from the shop. Actually was dripping condensation from under the car as it should for the first time in a while. The recirculation "off" button turned off as well (lit automatically when car is hot inside and then unlit when it cooled off). They said some other contradictory things as well- each of which may not be a big deal but when taken all together makes me not want to go back there again. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

If it is like a 940 there are 3 high pressure ports behind the grill. They have pressure switches in them.

Al

94 940 166 Kmi Had 94 940 257504 mi Crunch- Parted out 94 940 165 k mi Daughters 86 240 320 K mi 81 240D ate transmissions 79 245D
Reply to
VRparts

I got those, but without removing a switch it is it possible to install a test gauge? Is there a valve behind the switches that keeps the R134a from escaping? Can a hihg-side pressure gauge be installed there for the purpose of testing and/or filling?

Thanks!

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

Behind the switches is something like a large tire valve (schrader valve). These switches control the fan speeds (low and high) and the compressor cutoff if the pressure gets too high, so operating with one disconnected for testing purposes won't hurt anything. (Reconnect the switch to the wiring harness after removal)

Reply to
Mike F

THANKS Mike! That's exactly what I needed to know. The owner of the shop I went to (recommended by my alignment guy) said his air conditioning guy as experienced and said that this car didn't have such a port. it reinforces some other things he said that supports my opinion that he didn't know what he was doing. I think I'll buy the big bottle of R134a and a manifold set and do it myself from now on! It probably would have saved me money.

Thanks again! __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

Keep in mind that under those switches are R12 type service fittings. If you want to hook R134a equipment you'll need to temporarily add an adapter. Also, these are on the high pressure side, you'll want to use one of the fittings on the drier to add refrigerant. And the R134a fittings are different (size) from low to high, make sure you don't try to fill from a can to the high side! And doing some of this may be illegal where you live.

Reply to
Mike F

It is still legal to fill your own R134a in California. Costco actually sells the large (3 gallon?) bottle of R134a. I do have one fitting on the drier and have used it to add a little R134a previously.