1990 Ranger AC Service Ports

Would someone please tell me the location of the AC service ports on a

1990 Ford Ranger? Also which is the high and which is the low port? I believe I found one high and to the right (looking toward the cabin) of the radiator.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave S
1990 should have 2 ports, one low pressure, one high. The high pressure will be a smaller line in diameter. The low pressure is a shrader valved (tire valve type) port right near (or on) the evaporator. Alternatavely, you can remove the low pressure switch and a shrader valve is under that. I dont have a ranger in front of me, so im doing this from memory. 1990 takes R-12 refridrant. (94 and later is R134a) If your converting make sure you get the oil charge in there.

h>Would someone please tell me the location of the AC service ports on a

Reply to
djdave

Thanks djdave. I am replacing the (remaining) Freon with Freeze 12 (Freon replacement). I found what I think is one port - it has a shrader valve and is near the top right of the radiator as you face the grill. The 'filling' connection on the Freeze 12 connector is wider/bigger than this valve.

A second question, about shrader valves. Does the pin on the shrader valve have to be physicallymechanically pushed in for the valve to open (to allow recharging) or does the higher external pressure open the valve by pressure alone?

Thank you.

Dave

Reply to
Dave S

That sounds like the high pressure port. Don't charge through that port. Find the low pressure port and it'll fit the charge adapter you have. It'll be nearer the firewall. The proper connector will depress the schrader valve properly. Look for the larger line from the back of the compressor, toward the firewall, where it goes into the receiver/dryer. They are different sizes on purpose, and sometimes different colors. Blue for low pressure, Red for high pressure.

Screw the connector on and off with gloves to protect yourself from "burn".

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader