alternator

On a common GM alternator what are the 2 terminals comming out of the side for. I assume the large stud terminal goes directly to the battery and I was told 1 of the side terminals is used to excite the alternator and this can be accomplished by running a keyed + through an indicator light and then to one of the terminals. Anyway which terminal would it be and what is the other one for.

Reply to
habbi

L.W.(ßill)