aluminum wheels

I have possible access to some aluminum rims that have the clearcoat peeling. Does anyone know of a way to clean them up so they look really great?

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

Jim Gemmill did pass the time by typing:

Not impossible but it is a pain in the arse. Involves stripping off the old clearcoat (with an aluminum safe stripper) then prepping and recoating. It's the prep work that is a pain since aluminum oxidizes quickly. Long story short it's easier to pay the pros to do aluminum rims. Check the local wheel repair shops for pricing.

Tried a few methods on my rims but since the peeling is due to rockrash it's easier to take them to a wheel shop for filling/finishing.

Reply to
DougW

Yeah, take them to a place that does sandblasting and powder coating. They'll blast off that nasty clear coat and powder coat them any color you can imagine, even clear. The local shop had some before and after rims and I was impressed. They had some really NASTY rims, salt corrosion and peeling clear coat. The after looked pretty good and the cost was a fraction of new rims.

Dean

Reply to
Bill

Jim Gemmill proclaimed:

IF you can thoroughly remove the old clearcoat and repaint them with a new aluminum-safe one, otherwise check the cost of having someone else do it for you before buying. If they are of unusual value, powder coat is the way to go. If the clearcoat is compromised, the aluminum rots, sometimes sufficiently with hairlines to severely weaken the wheel.

Reply to
Lon