ANti-theft: weld a bolt on my new Warn winch?

I've been told I should have one of the mounting bolts of my new 8000i tack-welded onto the mount to prevent someone from simply loosening four bolts and stealing it. However, the manual specifically says not to do this as it will change the metallurgy of that bolt and it could then possibly break.

What to do?

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

locktite? the black stuff is pretty damn strong.... you'll have to heat it to remove it.

Reply to
serg

Handywired did pass the time by typing:

Large torx bolt or allen bolt so they just can't get at it with a simple wrench set?

Reply to
DougW

Take a hammer and crush the threads or mushroom it on the end of one bolt. This way you can tighten it if needed, but it won't come off until you grind or cut the end of the bolt off.

Mike

Handywired wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'd just leave it as is and trust in your fellow man. If you weld the nuts to the mount they will then simply take the entire rig. (Having a large, mean dog nearby helps immensely as an anti-theft device.)

Reply to
Jerry McG

Tuffy has a new bolt lock that was designed with a winch mounting bolt in mind. $32 or so at your local 4x4 dealer. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford