TJ: Winch Question

I purchased a winch plate from the local Jeep dealer to mount my old Warn HS9500 to my '03 TJ... Sorta have two question woundering if anyone here can offer some advice too..

The four bolts that originally hold just the tow hooks -- is adding that extra 1/4" between the bumper and tow hooks still allow for the 4 OEM torq bolts to work..ie does that extra 1/4 require me to locate some longer bolts...and if so is it even possible to find similar torx head bolts of an adiqute grade?

Then the two bolts that hold the sleeve the rubber spacer on the front stabalizer bar to the frame --- there is a 1/4" space between the sleeve and the winch plate, would shimming that with washers and replacing the OEM bolt with one of adiqute length and grade work okay?

It would be nice to have some answers before tuesday (next day the dealer is open).. kinda want to get this thing on and the bolts tack welded and get some use out of it...would be shame to waste this weekend.. ;-)

Reply to
Chris

First, caution on the two bolts per bracket that hold the swaybar down. They are not rated bolts, they are like self-tapping bolts and over-tightening them will easily strip out the female threads. Yes, you can use washers to level out that area, that's what I did six years ago and it's fine.

And yes too, you'll need longer bolts for the winch bracket. Replace them with Grade 5 or Grade 8 hex head bolts. You'll likely have to go to a specialty store that specializes in nuts and bolts since few Home Depot type stores carry a large enough selection of rated (Grade 5 or 8) bolts. Just take one of the torx-head bolts into the store with you to get the right thread.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

The threads for the mounting plate are metric and it may be difficult to find them at the local hardware outfit. I ended up going to an industrial bulk supplier, Wurth Fastener, and talked them into selling me just 4.

The wacky thing about Warns mounting kits, they give you locks for the winch and the center plate to frame tabs, but not for the frame to tab bolts. So, unless you weld them someone can just unbolt the whole thing, mounting plate and all & walk away with it.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I could have sworn mine were 1/2" coarse thread Imperial bolts. Doesn't make sense for them to be Torx and Imperial......but I remember replacing them with grade 8 bolts.....and you can't get "grade 8" metric.....it's either 8.8 or 10.8, or whatever.....

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keating

I have found that ACE hardware stores usually have a great selection of bolts. NAPA used to have them,..but the one here took that part out of the store.

Billy

Reply to
Billy Tolcher

Yeah, I think they were 8.8s.