Anyone using an aftermarket steering stabilizer on a ZJ?

The front bushings are getting a bit creaky and looking at replacing them. At the same time, will probably replace the steering stabilizer.

For a ZJ that already has the Rancho RS9000X shocks, would the Rancho single tube steering stabilizer do anything unusually bad to the handling? Tires not much over stock size, tend to run 235-75/15 so dont really see need for hardcore double tube or anything.

Reply to
Lon

I used aftermarket but went back to factory because it simply handled better that way. Never used the Rancho though.

Reply to
DougW

I have used the Rancho stabilizer for several years on our '93 ZJ. Never had a problem with it. I don't think the stabilizer is as important a decision as replacing the worn parts in the steering.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Dick proclaimed:

Thanks guys... I would be interested in what kinda problems Doug had with another aftermarket unit... I don't mind, in fact I prefer a rather stiff steering and suspension, and the dollar difference between the two is trivial... as is just replacing the thing while having the front suspension refurbished. I don't have the death wobble yet, but every now and then on a rough stretch of road it has begun a bit of a Kevorkian Jiggle and I'd prefer to fix it before it does begin to get worse.

Reply to
Lon

I drive aggressive both on and off-road. Think rally style racing. The aftermarket didn't provide enough stiffness for my tastes. Then again I run Edelbrock IAS shocks.

Had some deathwobble and a local alignment shop (one that I trust very much) told me to go back to OEM. I did and the problem went away. Stuck with OEM ever since.

Reply to
DougW