aftermarket tuning --> but not Fast and/or Furious

hey gang. I posted here once or twice a while back, but I have returned looking for some direction.

I am looking to take my 1997 2.2 litre impreza wagon and give it a little modification. It recently became our 2nd car, and at eight years old and with a little over 100K miles as the family truckster it seems like a good time to start tinkering.

Not looking to turn it into a rice-burning, street racing machine like the high-school kids would do or anything like that, but rather just give it a little extra "oomph"...

you know, a little more pep on acceleration, a bit better handling, a tad more power, that kind of thing. Add a bit of "fun" to the ride, while maintaining practicality and an "everyday car" kind of look.

Nothing outrageous, just a little here or there that you'd consider a DIY in the driveway over the weekend type thing. Oh yeah, I don't want to spend a fortune on it either (makes it harder,, no?)

Any links, tips, tricks or pointers would be appreciated..

I know I am being a bit vaugue, but I don't want to limit any responses, and am looking for a wide range of input. I have no specific goals in mind, just looking for some easy yet fulfilling projects to improve my favorite little Sube.

thanks in advance

Reply to
bb2004

Do some junkyard suspension upgrades - stock suspension off of an Impreza RS, and some 15 or 16 inch factory subie wheels. (Or you can take mine off of my hands! )

A homemade cold-air intake and an 2.5 inch exhaust with a straight-through design muffler and glasspack resonator will add a few hp.

Do you subscribe to Grassroots Motorsports? If not, do, and you'll get tons of ideas, especially from their $2005 challenge.

Reply to
Scott Johnson

What you want is one of those house sized Garrett turbochargers they put on transatlantic supertankers, bolt a supercharger onto it too just to combat the turbo lag! A couple of bottles of NOx in the boot and a billion ron fuel and you are good to go...

Seriously tho, have a look at getting it chipped this would improve the engines power output,dont go crazy and make sure the engine is in good working order and has been serviced regularly.

You could firm up the suspension springs and lower 15 - 30mm this would make the car a bit more sprightly, also new shocks would make a difference, the damping oil in 100k shocks will be pretty broken down, just replacing them with stock would make a noticable difference. Stiffer suspension bushings are pretty cheap and would help improve handling too. you could also beef up the anti roll bars front and rear. Remember handling is a tradeoff, all the above will reduce the cars ride quality.

Also fit bigger rims (no more than 17inch needed) and shod them with better wider tyres, tyres can make a huge improvement to handling and grip, especially the lower profile you get with bigger rims.

Doing all the above at once could prove to be expensive, Id go with matched new shocks and springs and an engine chip first.

Ross

Reply to
Ross

Reply to
SilverFXT

Go here:

and then open up the "Normally Aspirated" forum and read, read, and read some more. Then look at the "Aftermarket Forced Induction" forum and you'll see what you can do to make real power from that engine. The latter may be a bit more complex than you were looking for.

Steve.

Reply to
Spudster

Reply to