Stupid question on A/C high pressure hose

95 ZJ 4.0 with ATC, 114K miles

Had the air conditioner dyed.... the leak is in that big hose right off the output of the compressor that goes down to the radiator. Is leaving behind about a cubic millimeter per week of heavy dyed oil. And the local forecast is just under triple digits for a week or more.

Is hose this the one that has the fixed orifice inside?

If this hose is replaced, is it a good idea to have the rest of the system torn down and O-ringed while at it, or is it safe to replace just that hose then pump and refill?

Reply to
Lon

local forecast is just under triple digits for a week

in the hose or at the bayonette joint? You can vent and replace this and refill the system without having to vac it out. (not good for the environment) A little tweek can stop some leaks but be careful as the aluminum can strip and that gets real expensive.

If your talking expansion valve, that's in the one that runs to the evaporator.

Most shops suggest new rings all the way around or you will be back fixing more leaks. Plus they have to pump it down anyway. I tend to agree.

Reply to
DougW

DougW proclaimed:

local forecast is just under triple digits for a week

Looks like you are correct about it being at the joint right there at the compressor since the wetness from the oil/dye starts so darn close to that end of the hose that I dont see any unwet part. And I don't see any abrasions or obviously over wet spots along the hose as I would expect if there were even the tiniest pinhole a tad further down.

I'll replace the hose... I once tweaked a Volvo A/C hose and the thing scared the living p** out of me when it blew at a stoplight in LA.

One less worry.

The full O ringing was my idea, but think I'll insist since the darn pump down and refill costs more than the rest of the work.

Thanks...

Reply to
Lon