Anyone ever run 195/65/15 Snow tires on a Volvo 240 before ?

Hey fellow Volvo owners,

I have been looking at all the different snow tires I can get for my '81

244 (I'm going to get 4 new winter tires and put them on dedicated rims) and I've decided on the tires I want to get based on their characteristics, my driving habits, the typical winter climate and driving conditions where I live, etc., etc. Now that I got that far, I'm in a bit of a quandry over what tire size to choose given that the tire I've selected only comes in 3 sizes which would fit a 240 with 15" rims.

205/60/15, 195/65/15 and 175/65/15.

I don't want the 205s because I don't want to go to a fatter tire for winter tires. If anything I'd like to go taller and skinnier than the stock 195/60/15s but my choices are taller & same width or skinnier and almost the same diameter (just 0.2" less than stock). I wish they made

185/65/15s but they don't so my choice is between 175/65/15 or 195/65/15.

I will probably use Virgo rims (6" wide) since I have a few spares kicking around and would like to use them. The 175/65/15 is approved for

5" - 6" rims so could safely be used on the Virgos. 175/65s would have 7.4" section width on the Virgos whereas the O.E. 195/60 has a section width of 7.7" on the Virgos so curb protection is slightly reduced with the 175/65s vs the OE tire size, but not much. Tread width is, of course, 20 mm (0.8 inch) narrower on the 175s.

Winter driving conditions can be quite variable where I live (Calgary, AB, Canada) so can be dealing with deep snow or slush sometimes, icy and compact snow other times but probably have more bare and dry or bare & wet or slippery wet w/light snow than anything else. The 175 would probably kick ass in deeper snow and slush, the 195 would be better on dry and probably on bare & wet but I'm not sure which would actually do better on compact snow and icey conditions or wet slippery w/ light snow type conditions. I tend to be a "spirited" driver and my car has stiff sporty suspension so I like to take corners fairly hard when conditions permit but adjust my driving style according to the conditions. I'm 43 so don't drive like a crazy teenager anymore and have over 20 years of experience at driving 240s in winter conditions.

** I should also mention that I'm putting in a Detroit TrueTrac posi within the next few weeks. **

Biggest difference between the 175/65s and the 195/65s are load and speed ratings. The 175s are rated 84T (1102 lbs/tire) and the 195s are rated 91H (1356 lbs/tire). In contrast, the stock 195/60/15 would be rated at about 87 which is about 1190 lbs/tire. I'm not sure how significant the load or speed rating differences would be given that I seldom, if ever have more than 2 small-med sized adults in the car and maybe a 60 lb dog and I seldom have the car loaded down heavy. Speed rating diffs are not that important to me as these are winter tires so T is plenty fast enough and H is definately overkill. Price difference between the two tire sizes is not an issue. Just want to get the best tire for the car and conditions. I realize there are bound to be tradeoffs either way.

I know the 195/65/15 is commonly used on the 240 for winter tires and would probably be the safe choice but I can't help but wonder if the

175/65/15 might turn out to be an even better winter/snow tire. I'm very curious to know if anyone out there has run 175/65s winter tires on a 240 and what they thought of them. What were the pros & cons ?

Do any of you think the 175/65s would be a bad choice or a much worse choise than the 195/65s ? If so, why ?

Thanks,

Roj

*** REMOVE SPAM_OUT PART FROM E-MAIL ADDRESS TO REPLY TO ME DIRECTLY ***
Reply to
Roj

Sounds like you really did your homework on this one. The taller, skinnier tires are better in dirt and mud but I'm not sure about snow. I lived in Maine and the roads, underneath the powdery snow, were mostly grated ice. I would opt for more road contact, ie: wider tires. Which ever you chose go for the higher speed rating. Higher speed rated tires handle much better even at low speeds than the lower rated tires. Good luck and make a dicision soon before your head explodes!

Reply to
volvoguy

I have bought 4 Nokian Hakkapeliittas which have size 185/65R15. Best snow tire ever...

Andy

"Roj" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@telus.net...

Reply to
Andy

Also, I've found Michelin X-ice at Canadian tire $124 a tire in 185/65/15.

Just looked today actually.

Robert

For under $ 400 get the GT Champiro 185/65/R15 and spend the other 200 on a winter tune up! I just used them in a nasty snow storm and I was passing everyone! If you want summer type riding tires get the MX.'s. If you want to 'go' in a snowstorm get the Champiro's.

92 750 GL

Cheers,

Joe.

Reply to