Axle Seals Dana 35 -- Help!!

Had my TJ into a local Fireston on Friday for the usual rotate/balance/alignment (I'm the guy they hate to have buy the lifetime stuff -- I use it all the time.. ). Anyhow, I couldv'e sworn there was leakage from the front passenger side axle seal. I asked them to check it out. I assumed it would be the bearings (I have 64k miles, running 33x12.5s on 15x8 rims w/3.25" backspacing -- I know that backspacing can be hell on bearings). They said the front was just fine. However, the rear (D35) driver's side axle seal was shot. Odd, just had it regeard in August, but I guess it could've gone out since then (they didn't touch the seals, just the normal carrier/pinion related stuff).

Anyhow, it's $20 in parts, but $160 in labor. Is it really that hard to do? Should I have the bearings replaced at the same time since they have it all torn out and I know those bearings are the original ones?

If I'm going to do this, I need to do it ASAP. Thanks for your help!!

Eric

1999 TJ SE

begin 666 grin.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`*(``/___[V]O5G_R&.$_P```````````````"'Y! D```$` M+ `````/``\`0 A=``,(%$B@8,&!! 40``!@(4.'!!0&B!A1H46+! 96-%A0 M@$2-'D.*S#A1(3%$LN=-BPX4>$)Q'"K!CR($B3-3>6%,DSI\*'#%NZ[ @Q

1*$2)&UEV?#F1ID>;`0("`#L` ` end
Reply to
Eric

You got lucky and my server didn't kill your HTML post like it does to most of them...

I always figure if a seal has gone out, something caused it to go out.

To me that means they did a bad job on the gears so something is sloppy and moving or you have just cooked the bearing or they did a bad job on the gears and filled it full of dirt or they did a bad job on the gears and it is filling with metal shavings....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

Or they did a bad job on the install, and hit the seal with the shaft while sliding it in - I'd check the bearing for play, if none just change the seal - not hard, probably take a couple of hours at most Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ, 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie