Axle Shaft Seal -- Fragile?

In re-installing my steering knuckle, I'm reading through the installation process of the the whole thing, and noticed the warnings about avoiding damaging the oil-seals. If I am careful in lining-up the axle-shaft when re-inserting into the differential, is there much to worry about ?

From FSM:

INSTALLATION (1) Thoroughly clean the axle shaft (Fig. 4) and apply a thin film of Mopar Wheel Bearing Grease to the shaft splines, seal contact surface, hub bore. (2) Install the axle shaft into the housing and differential side gears. Avoid damaging the axle shaft oil seals in the differential.

Reply to
Dave

As long as you do it slowly and with little force you should be OK.

Reply to
nrs

Cool. Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Reply to
Dave

As they age they get brittle and can tear very easy. There also is a spring behind them that sometimes snaps if stretched too much when the end of the shaft is going through.

The leading edge is metal so having things clean is the most important. Dirt can tear the edge of the seal.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> In re-installing my steering knuckle, I'm reading through the
Reply to
Mike Romain